1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

debris removal job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by godzilla, Mar 16, 2011.

1. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Met with a client on Sunday morning, he wants to get rid of an old organic refuse pile. I figure it's gonna fill up a 30 yard can without any trouble. The can could be dropped roughly 200 - 300' from where the pile currently lays. The pile is situated at the bottom of a ravine. I'd have to say that you'd be lucky to get a gator or similar sized machine in there, and that's via a neighbor's driveway. The client wants to see dirt. Now one guy I work with says it's going to take 5 guys with a gator 2 - 3 days using buckets. Somebody else said 3 guys for 3 days just using tarps and rakes.

How would you guys price a job like this?

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Time and materials (equipment).

Any other way of pricing it would scare me to death.

Good luck.

3. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of a gator, rent a skid steer and make the path a little wider, or a smaller sized skid,, if a gator can fit why cant a skid fit. Get a larger bucket that can hold more volume since leaves arent that heavy(unless they are really wet and arent as heavy as soil). If you average 1/2 a yard per scoop, and it takes you 5 minutes per scoop to pick up, move and dispose. Thats roughly 60-70 scoops to be safe, to get 30 yards of material. 5 min per scoop and thats. 5-6 hours to do it all. Rent a dumpster for 300, the skid for a day 300. And charge him for the rentals and the hourly rate of the skid(whatever your hourly rate is)(lets say its 120 per hour for bobcat fees, 120x6 hours = 720 dollars in your pocket, plus 600 for rentals which is a total job cost of $1,320

Instead of hiring 3 guys for 30 hours each(90 man hours total to do it with tarps) get the right equipment, save the guy money, and get in and out of there in a good 6-7 hours with clean up and finishing touches.

90 man hours @ 35 per hour(my charge) Would cost the home owner $3,150 for the job, plus the dumpster rental and removal fee of $300. So by renting a machine and only you using it. your saving time, money, and energy.

$1,320 in 7 hours vs. $3,450 in 3 days of back breaking work and hauling with tarps

Which would you choose?

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Till up the stuff at the bottom of the ravine, level it off and plant something in it, to make it look nice... Why does someone want to recreate a washout? There is good reason to leave stuff filled in like that, the biggest is erosion control, then there is safety and aesthetics... :)

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

DLONG, your full of good info....

Go rent a mini skid for a day and get it done.