Debt Settlement Agreement

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by whiffyspark, May 13, 2013.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone have a debt settlement agreement? Google isn't turning up much

I have an ex-client I've been chasing for over a year now for 5 figures, need to get it settled up.

Thanks

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn 5 figures. I get spun up over $80 :)
    Check legalzoom.com ...might find something helpful there.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

It's really ridiculous. I cut him off after 17 weeks of no payment. Then he has the nerve to complain to me that his yard is a mess when he came home. He signed my contract for MONTHLY payments. I said if you had paid me every month we would have had no problem.

He also had me meet several vendors at his home, do a ton of estimates for patios decks, etc. really pissed me off when he had someone else do all the work.

He said he doesn't appreciate discourtesy. I was like dude you've owed me money for a year. PAY ME lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

File a lean

5. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Lien* :usflag:

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Have your lawyer draw up a nice letter stating if no payment then a lien will be filed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck to you bro. I hope you get every cent and then some from this clown. I really like the ones who try to turn things around like you done something wrong to justify them not paying you.

Some people are just garbage and should be avoided. We just went through months of headaches with non-paying tennants of a rental property. We let it go way too long trying to work with them and ended up getting screwed in the end. Finally had to go to court to get them out. What a mess. For this reason, I will never let debts go past 30 days for any reason. Our policy for lawn care is no pay, no next service. I just cut them short right then. It's just too damn easy for us to replace the headache customers or slow pays.

8. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Every-one please do a proper search right now on line, to find out exactly what your jurisdictions laws are concerning liens!

Guys from other States and Provinces may be inadvertently giving you misinformation that will cost you money.

For instance: where I am, if a client does not pay within 30 days of the invoice date we only have another fifteen days to file a lien.
    That gives us only 45 days total to file a lien from the date of the invoice.

Also, we must have a written contract.

No verbal agreements will hold up in court, no matter what any-one tells you!

9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Try searching for "promissory note"

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

If they've stiffed you for this long, why do you think you will be able to get them to sign anything?

As others recommended, take a look at your local laws re: lien time-frames (Maryland looks to be 120 days after work to provide notice of intent, 180 days after work to have it filed). If you can get them to sign something, that may help you if you try to sue them after you find out it's too late to file the lien.