1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Debug 15HP Kohler Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Kohler Command Pro 15 (CV15T) on a 36" Scag. The crew says that it will simply stop running all of sudden(Spanish to English) and then they can't get it to start. Both times by the time they got it to my shop it started right up and I ran it for around 1 hours and back to them. The engine is 27 months old had rings and valve job and new carb put on a few months back.

I sent them back out today and I have showed them how to disconnect the connector that takes all the switches and interlocks out of play so they can see if it will start. It ran all day today no problem.

I guess this sounds like a coil problem especially since the fails happen after a few hours of operation and we are running 100F. Is the only way to tell if that coil is bad is to quickly drive to the failure and see if I got spark? It is going to be hard to see spark out in sun. What does a coil cost? Is there some kind of spark tester that really works--can be seen in daylight. Mine has to be in a dark garage to see the spark.
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I never had a problem with my 12.5 Kohler Command engine on my 36" that I just sold. 20+ months and needs mechanicals, wow!

Could be coil. Have you considered vapor lock? From a link I found...Your owner's manual may suggest additional ways to avoid vapor lock. Remember that some situations lead to vapor lock more often than others. One is running an engine at full power for an extended time on an unseasonably warm day. If vapor lock does occur, it will probably be necessary to allow the engine to cool before it can be restarted.

Here's the link: