Debug Peerless Transmission on Scag

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, May 12, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is a H700-070A Peerless Transmission on a 48" Scag. The unit runs in reverse just fine. When in 1st - 3rd gear the unit will take off fine then it will hesitate and then take back off. If I load it down it doesn't seem to make the frequency worse. Belt is banjo tight It is like jumping out and in gear. And no drive in 4th or 5th gear which may or maynot be related. We unfortunately used those high gears for braking when in transient.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess the first step is to pull it off the unit? I know that may not be easy since that bottom pulley is a slip fit with key right? Pulley to big to use
    a puller.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Probably broken or worn shift keys and thrust washers on the main shaft.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the lower housing is wore out. Can you wiggle trans pulley from underneath? Or as PS has suggested or as was in my case,the shift slider detents were broken.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Had to replace those shift key in another unit.....razor sharp edges on that shaft as I recall. Those shift keys are magic to me until I get it apart.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

After reviewing the literature it was apparent that the shifting fingars was part of the problem. The only question was whether there was too much wear on the mating gears. Can't afford to replace all of them so I decided I would replace third gear. So I took it off and when in to dealer shop. Pulled top off and fingars had wear and gears as expected and everything else looked good. He didn't have fingars so he gave me the entire guts out of warrant replacement that they had just done on a Toro. It had cracked case. Flopped the two shafts and parts in my case set the shifter in place dumped in some special grease sealed top and away I went. Cost me $75.
    Put it in and it works:) Found out later my unit was only one month out
    of warranty. Morale to this story....got to be at the right place at the right time and don't shift that unit without stopping.

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The biggest mistake most people make when replacing the shift keys is forgetting to replace the beveled washers between the gears..
    They keep the keys from jumping out of gear....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

After studying the mechanism it is simply amazing that those fingars can take the loads of engaging that gear interface and stay in place. Do you agree that it would be good to replace the gear that you use most on this type of rebuild? Can't afford to replace all of them . Just no way to judge whether the wear on the gear is too much.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Well...
    If it has visible signs of wear, chances are it's too worn.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well after dropping in the guts from a Toro last year the unit is jumping out of gear again. This was a new set of parts from a new Toro unit that had a cracked cover. One thing I noticed was the gear shift is jumping around up and down and got to thinking that isn't good. How will it stay in gear with it bouncing around So I put a damper on it.

026.jpg

Is this lever supposed to be adjusted so it drags on th e top? Anyway this piece of hose seems to have helped a lot for the time being.

026.jpg