1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

DEC must be bored?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CNYScapes, Nov 24, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I was driving around with my lesco salt spreader on the back of my truck (I salted some lots last week and havent taken it off yet) and I heard a siren, I look behind me and there is an unmarked with its lights blaring. Im thinking oh S#it its a cop he must have seen I didnt have my seat belt on. So he comes up flashing his badge and says hes DEC. He says "Do you have any pesticides in your lesco spreader?" I go "No, its a salt spreader for salting parking lots", He says "Oh", He says "do you have any pesticides on board" I say "No" he says "OK Good Day". This moron thought my salt spreader was for doing lawns, like I drive my truck across peoples lawns, yeah right! I guess they have nothing else to do. :drinkup:

2. What's DEC?

Dave

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

^Department of Environmental Conservation

We've got a department for just about everything in NY!:rolleyes:

4. It seems like they'd have better trained people.

Maybe he's thinkin' this is the time of year they'd be making illegal pesticide applications...'cause no-one would suspect they'd be out this time of year applying pesticides!:rolleyes:

More likely he just thought he'd catch you with something still on your truck.

Dave

5. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I also work in NY, certified applicator, we bought those spreader racks that plug into the hitch of your truck. much easier than loading it into the back of a pickup, and we found out the hard way, while driving down the road the spreader had to be entirely empty - even w/ just straight fert in it w/ a shower cap covering it.
    Alittle more work w/ each stop.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bored? No, I think they are broke and looking to make money any way possible.