1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Steiner, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

Syracuse NY

Been reading the past posts on shrubs

Any advice on removing these large shrubs? I would like to do it by hand with a chainsaw mattocks and root chopper, but it looks like a large job for one guy. 3-4' from foundation.

Would renting a backhoe be cost effective to remove 6-10 of these large 5'-7' in diameter junipers? I want to save the customer some money and I am weighting the small backhoe vs. the backbreak. $375 a day vs $25 an hour labor?

Yes I am calling to get utilities marked.

Are these Junipers?

Thank you, you guys are a wealth of knowledge!

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Get yourself a choker chain and a 20 ft chain with hooks on both ends. Put your truck in the road and pull them out with the truck. Those will take about 5 minutes per stump to pull out. Stack them by the road until your finished. Toss a few in your truck and then (carefully) chop them up to reduce the volume. Toss in the rest and your dont. Worst case scenario 3 hours. Looks to be about 10 bushes in the pic. Might be two trips to the dump spot depending what you are using to haul them away. Oh dont forget to payup
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it that way - greater likelihood of damaging sidewalks , foundations , plumbing , cables , etc , plus it doesn't look very professional , imo . I would use a mini skid or mini ex - both can pull the plant straight up with deliberate speed , so you can stop and chop a root if it looks like it might cause collateral damage . Does look like juniper , which usually have shallow roots that can run laterally for some distance - usually , the roots will break under pressure and you will have to chop them out with an ax even after you remove the plant.
  4. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Arborvitaes. They pull out easy. Like said above, 3 hrs max.
  5. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the chain, they dont have a big or strong enough root system to damage the foundation. Make sure you tell the client you will be pulling them with your truck.
  6. Steiner

Thanks guys....
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a Steiner?
    The chain will work fine just wear your hat backwards and put black magic marker on a couple of your teeth and you will look fine. Every time you get in the truck yell Yee Haw at the top of your lungs, rev the engine and hit it.
  8. bgent

bgent LawnSite Member

you can do that in 3 hours with a shovel and both your arms. just did it today on a very similar job
  9. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I cut them down to about 1 foot tall with a chainsaw then use small shovel to dig around the roots and cut them out using either the chainsaw if you have room or and axe/maul. Not a hard job at all...
  10. Steiner

No but everyone calls me steiner:) Yee Haw!

I dont think I am into the whole truck thing, too close to main street and windows.