deceased clients

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobby perez, Aug 1, 2003.

1. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

just a quick question.I had a client call me to cut his grass ASAP.The reason was because His Wife died. He wanted the lawn to look good for the mourners that were coming.This client is very frugal CHEAP,so I went out and double cut his lawn and Bagged it. gave him my premium service, weeds on street removal and cracks , the whole 9 yards. Naturally no charge even though he's a 2 weeker. How do you guys handle when a clients Kinfolk dies.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'm assuming you mean you didn't charge for the extra work, but charged your regular rate.

I usually do something similar, try to help out in a rough situation.

3. bluebeard

bluebeard LawnSite Member
    from ny

No charge,

naturally ..........

LOL

:dizzy:

Full work = full price. Any questions?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Depends on the client.300,000 house I don't think so.A senior
    living in a 100,000 house on a limited budget,they get a break.

5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, if they they are living on a fixed income they get a break and a sympathy card. If they are financially secure, a sympathy card.

6. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

A little off topic but, last September my father passed away. I got to my parents house which was a duplex and you could have baled it. They live 250 miles away in Rhode Island. After we made the arrangements at the funeral home, I called the landlord with a severe case of attitude. He was supposed to have it cut every 2 weeks but the lawn service was too expensive. It had not been cut for almost 2 months. Anyway, I asked a very nice neighbor to borrow his brand new mower and trimmer, and he did. He would not take a penny from me, so I gave him my card and thanked him. Point of the story, a little bit of charity is not forgotten at a time like that. And yes my mom did get $ back for him not keeping up his part of the contract thanks to a son who does not like to have his parents stepped on. A little winded but thanks for listening.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there has been times where I don't even charge for the service. Because why should they worry about paying bills at the time of a death.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i would do it this one time for free. also hand him a card with a few bucks in it. i have never lost a family member, its gotta be the worst thing that can happen.

9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

If it was someone I had been mowing for awhile, I would do it for free. When a person is trying to make funeral arrangements, the last thing they need to worry about is cutting the grass.

When my husband was seriously hurt, I had a lot of people offering to help me in different ways, and I'll tell you, it means a lot when people step up when you need them.

Hopefully, this customer will remember your good deed.

10. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

If it makes you feel good about yourself, then you should do it.

The question you have to ask yourself is, "does it really take me that long to cut this?"

Most businesses are always coming up with giveaways and discounts...it's good P.R.

Plus, it's just a nice thing to do for someone who's in a time of need.