December late payers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Uranus, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

As things are winding down up here in the northeast I got thinking the other day about how it seems that every month it seams like i get 1 or 2 more late payments than the month before. I know that 4 or 5 ore going to be late every month. Now I expect to finish all my final cleanups by december 1st. So All my cleanups during the month of nov. will be sent out on the 1st of dec. So my question is do you find that around the holidays that you get a higher number of late payments? I'm hoping that all my invoices will be paid in full by christmas, but the more I think about it I really dont see it happening.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do you still believe in Santa?
  3. Uranus

from Mass

Why do you ask? Will he steal a check from the pitas while at their houses and bring them to me? I would love to get a stocking full of fall cleanup checks.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The ones that actually are willing to pay for a cleanup...they tend to be my better customers and not really a problem collecting.

It's the new ones that ask a zillion questions like "How long will it take?" and "Can you make sure to do it when it's NOT windy" and "How much did you say it will cost again?" those are the customers I am leery of...
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like there is always more late payers around the holidays then the middle of the season.End of the year clean-ups, yeah you want to get them all doesn't always happen though, some just don't get done in the fall.So sometimes what it come down to is going to the customers you know will pay on time.
  6. Uranus

from Mass

Yea on my second round of cleanups I' going to focus on the better customers first. Ill work my way down to my Sh!t list of people and those people who pay 15-25 days late for there mowings are going to be last if I can even beat the snow.
  7. Uranus

from Mass

Those are good clues to what type of customer they are going to be. Like the ones that say they want to sign on with you and also ask for prices for other services, mulch, edging, spot seeding. They usually never say anything again about those.
  8. Uranus

from Mass

Ist my first time doing this but BUMP
  9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I have some as well. They are elderly folks so I cut them a break. I know I will get my money from them, but sometimes things run a little tight when you have to pay heating bills and such. They all usually pay by mid Jan.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

October was my worst month on record for slow payers. I don't know what happened, but I had nothing (to speak of) coming in for a couple weeks. All of a sudden last week the checks started rolling in and almost everyone is up to date. Time will tell for November and December. I will probably collect the last of the checks around mid January as it usually works out.