Decent Mower advice ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nismodude1988, Feb 2, 2013.

1. nismodude1988

nismodude1988 LawnSite Member
    from GA

hey guys ive started my lawn care business last year in october and have gained 6 clients through clean ups mainly, well they told me that i did such a awesome job they plan to use me for weekly maintenance, funny thing is i have yet to cut a yard so i held off on buying a lawn mower LOL i got business cards, insurance, flyers, full vehicle wrap, br430 blower, kombi system and attachments ect, well im looking at the exmark X series 21 commercial BBC kawasaki self propelled, the Exmark metro, or possible a Turf tracer but idk i know the turf tracer is hydro so its obviously better but for residential what do you all recommend, and whats ur thoughts on them all?

2. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

What size lawns and you will pretty much need a 21inch no matter what
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. nismodude1988

from GA

depends so far i gotta few 1/4-3/4 acres but i seem to be slowly getting bigger yards maybe 1-1.5 acres so i dont wanna be out there all day with a push mower, but yea i do need the 21inch no matter what. do u think the exmark 21 is worth 1299?

4. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Personally I would recommend a toro 21 from home depot. I will say it works well and is under $400. I would recommend the combo of a 48 and 21 based off your size lawns. I personally carry a 48 and 36 metro and have 21 for a few yards that are in city. I got my 48 metro for 800 used and it works great so I would recommend looking at used mowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. nismodude1988

from GA

are the main differences from metro and turf tracer is that one is floating deck and also has hydro drive? or does one cut cleaner then the other

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Cut quality is very identical you can a metro much cheaper:waving:

7. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

New toro or exmark commercial 30 inch. That's what I use and a 54 inch zturn. I also have a commercial 21 exmark but since I bought the home version toro 30 I use it the most. It's an amazing machine.

8. nismodude1988

from GA

how much would i expect to get a metro for?

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Jaybrown is right. Great option if you can afford it. a 30" and a 52" is a great combo to start with.

10. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

If you can only afford one mower I would go for a 36 that way you still have the productivity but you can get in to back yards and small yards. Ideally a 52 and a 36 with a 21 would be the best set up. You could do anything from large estates to your average postage stamp yard