Decent Mower advice ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nismodude1988, Feb 2, 2013.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I run. Its a tight fit on a 16' trailer but I have whatever the job calls for 52" stander, 52" WB, 36" WB and POS 22" toro.

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

For the money I would get the 30" and then a ztr if you have larger properties. I've had a 36" which was ok for side discharging but a pain for bagging. So depending on your needs and money available. I have a pile of 21 inch mowers and they never even end up on my trailer. The 30" timemaster will go anywhere the 21 inch well. None of them bag well in wet grass, but the timemaster will mulch extremely well if cutting 2" or less. I bag or mulch with mine on 1 job it saves me 45 min over a 21" mower. You can add a used 36" later if you need it.

3. nismodude1988

nismodude1988 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Whats the price on a 30 inch exmark
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

look around on craigslist for a decent used walk behind...there are plenty of different brands out there so dont set your sights on just an exmark or toro especially if another good deal comes up...i agree that a 21 from home depot should be fine for what you are doing and your better off putting the 1200 towards the bigger mower you want to buy

5. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Listen to him this will get you best setup for least cash
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. nismodude1988

from GA

Okay now as far as a metro i talked to the dealer today he made it seem like it was a POS like belts slip.and it scalps alot. How does the metro perform for yall
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. nnusskern

My 48vehicle inch metro works great never had a problem does good bagging to. I also use it on all my leaf cleanups and work great with leaves. I have never had any issues with belts slipping it does really well on hills. And you can scalp with ang mower i mow alot of hills and rarely scalp. Scalping is mainly due to operator error.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. nismodude1988

from GA

also he told me that i cannot adjust the height adjustment on the metro is that tru cause i think he has no idea what hes talking about he looked at it and around and said naw its a fixed standard height. does that seem weird to you?

9. nnusskern

Mine you can adjust height its real super simple. Maybe this is something on new one but i doubt it. Have you used this dealer in the past you may want to try another dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. nismodude1988

from GA

yeah i had bought all my stihl stuff from them its an Ace hardware that sells exmark,walker,snapper ECT