decent mowers .?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indatreez, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Indatreez

Indatreez LawnSite Member

wanted to know what brand mower i should be looking at for my first mower to do 2-7k yards? :clapping: :confused:

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

36" walkbehind if there are gates. walkbehind definately. JMO

3. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

i agree on the walk behind, low price, comparable cut and very versatile. I own a scag 36 and it is bombproof. I also have a Husq but the build quality is not near as tough as the scag.

4. Indatreez

yea was deff thinking of walk behind for sure. dont think i wanna step right into a huge scag type mower yet..just going to start out next spring so want to start out with a 20" or so standard mower..are people still using lawn boys cause back in the day when i was doing lawn care this is all anybody ever used for small type lawn jobs.. so whats brand should make for a decent startup mower without getting into the 30-36" bigboys?

5. DillonsLawnCare

well. i dont really know about the lawnboys.......but for the brand of your mower all depends if your buying new or used. if new then go with dealer support. scag. exmark, toro are the main ones. check your local dealers. whats your price range??

6. DillonsLawnCare

oh, sorry i didnt understand your post.

i dont really know anything about the pushmowers, but i think whatever it is as long as its a name brand, youll be fine. JMO

7. Indatreez

thanx for the replies so far. anybody else.?

8. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

if you are looking for a self propelled 21' then find one in your price range with the features you want and get to work. keep your blade sharp and your oil and air filter clean and you can make a 100$ mower last for years.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd try and find one with at least a honda engine on it. i have a craftsman 21" with the honda 5.5 with the blade brake. great little trim mower. the briggs and tecumseh's are ok.. stay away from the Bolen's engines that the cheap stuff at home depot and lowe's sells. oh and this late in the year you'll soon see clearance sales at lots of places. they don't like to stock that stuff over the winter months.

10. vermonta

vermonta LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I would ask around the people that use them. See what people are using. I have a 6' and a 5' Exmark Lazer and one Everide 5' for bigger areas but have a 5' wb and 52 in wb for smaller areas. I would agree with the guy who said 36" for properties with gates. Would go definitely go with hydro not gear drive. On the small mower, I have an older Sarlo which I use very little but it is super solid built. Don't even know if you can get them anymore. I got this one at an estate cleanout for nothing and put about $50 into it and it does a great job.

Wish you success!