Decent single axle dump in the 10-20k range?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mrusk, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Never thought i was would say thing, but i think not owning some kind of dump truck is holding me back. Getting rid of job site spoils and extra material is killing me. Then i got the quarry delivering me an extra 12 TON of process and then tyr to just give me a dollor off per a ton on my next order!!

I need a truck to pick up materials when a tandem or tri axle load is not needed and to haul off job site spoils. I think something in the 26k-35k gvw range would work fine. The majority of my deliveries would still be deliveried, since most of my jobs seem to take full tandem or triaxle loads.

I do not want to spend 50k on a new truck. I see a ton of L8000 for sale for 10-15k with '150k miles' on them.

I am just afriad to buy a truck and have to dump a ton of $$ in it to keep it rolling. Also i need something i can easily load with my 246b skid steer and my future 7k mini ex. Are these trucks generally reliable or should i up my budget? BTW i doubt i would put 10k miles a year on the truck.

Matt

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You could probably find an international 4700 or 4900 in good shape. Either that or a ford f800 or something like that.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the L-8000 Fords if you find one with 7.8 Ford Power or 8.3 ISC power stay way from the ones with 3208s or 5.9 Cummins. If your lucky you can find one with L10 or M-11 Cummins power with a 8spd behind it.

The Louis Fords have good turning radius they have good visability in the cab the cabs do suffer orange cancer but you can find one without.

I would rather have a Ford Louis over a International any day of the week. Some people say oh its a rotten Ford I have no problems with them I worked on the Louisville Fords. Internationals are the worst thing to work on they have horrible wiring problems the cabs are junk. Also stay away from the Ford F-Series medium duties a Louisville series is what you want the singles you would want to find would be a L-LN-LT 8000 or 9000.

The maintenace things would be brakes clutch and engine otherwise if you find a good shape truck you shouldn't be too worried. Where you want to spend the money is do up the brakes so changing shoes and drums if you are going with full air which I recomend change the slack adjusters.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Gravel rat- But for 15k you think it will be possible to find a solid truck?

Matt

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you should be able to find a decent one for around 10-15k ,look for ones that are for sale at small trucking companies. By DOT law they MUST have at least 50% tread and 50% brake shoes when sold and be able to pass a DOT inspection. As for the L8000 I used to drive one had a L-10 cummins with a 7 speed trans and tandem rears had over 700k on the clock and still ran good. I put 300-500 miles per day on it and most time i was at or over legal load.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You will find one just keep searching.

7. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Mrusk
    I have a 1990 GMC Topkick that I am selling for 15k. It has 33k GVW, new tires, Cat 3116, 5+2 trans, trailer wiring, etc. Truck has app. 96k, motor has ~50k. I have used it fully loaded while towing a 277, 302.5 all the time. I have pics if you want. Its very clean and everything works. I have had 3 of these trucks with great results.

Matt

8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Internationals are good. Seen them go for $20K-$25K though.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find an early 90's International 4700 or 4900 with a 5 yard box for $10-15K no problem. I found three out here for $10-12K and there's way more trucks for sale in your area I'm sure.