1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

decent tow aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by aclassic, Apr 19, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

hey folks,
    this past fall after doing aeration w/ a walkbehind bluebird aerator i vowed to never do it again, it sucked way too much. but my grandpa is getting rid of his lawn tractor (16hp never used, too fast it scared him on the hills in KY) and i figured i'd give aeration another shot this year if i could get a good tow aerator.
    what is a good tow aerator 36-38" i could get for a decent price. i dont want to go home cheapo ($200), but i cant afford to go classen or ryan ($2000+) i found one online from TurfVent (see pic) for around $500. does anyone know anything about this model? is it anygood?
    i was also thinking about buying one from a local rental place, i dont know what anyone carries, but just something to look into

turfvent series2.jpg
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Bluebird 36" tow behind with the weights and it works great...had it for like 9 years now too.
  3. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

how often do you have to change the tines/spoons? if i bought a rental do you think i'd have to replace aal of the spoons? what do you pull it w/?
  4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

The pic looks like a homeowner's model. Look at Classen.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had mine like 7 or 8 years now and have never replaced any of the spoons. I pull it with one of our Toro Groundsmasters (25 hp) diesel with full weights on it too.
  6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

3pt / tow aerator, Classen, model 48rt

does an excellent job !!!!!!
  7. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i found some bluebird models on alamia.com for under $1000, i'll probly go w/ that unless i can find a cheaper used rental one.
    do you think a 16.5 hp lawn tractor will pull a 36" weighted core aerator? would i dare go w/ a 48" or would i be spinning my wheels?
  8. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Alamia's is down the street from me, good guy and his guy's are a pleasure to do business with, by the way the Bluebird is a nice piece of equipment. I have had one for 9 years and this is the first season I have replaced the tines, d****d bentinite clay!
  9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

outlaw, how does he do "free shipping" on mowers and other heavy stuff?

also, for anyone who may have a tow aerator, how much hp should i have on a lawn tractor to pull a 36" aerator? i have a 16.5 hp tractor will it work?
  10. Old Hippy

Old Hippy LawnSite Member

You may want to look at the Turfco 42 inch aerator. I have some Turfco walking units and they are great. I know some guys that have the 42 inch tow unit and really like them. You can see them at turfco.com. They have the price there too. 16 hp tractor would probably be ok depends on how much weight you put on the aerator to ge it into the ground. Some units don't take much weight but look at the tines they are like 10 inches apart. A guy would have to go over the lawn 5 times to get enough holes. I know alot of guys are pulling aerators with z mowers too.

Old Hippy