Deciding its worth it to get a dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by smarino21, Jun 12, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into buying a dump truck. I dont thinki wanna go out and spend 60k on a bran new one but maybe a used one that is gonna work out for snow and landscape. I know this maybe the wrong forem but no one responds in landscaping. I dont know how to figure it to be worth it or not?

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What new dump goes for $60K? You can get diesel F350s for $38K with a plow or a F550 for $43K with a plow.

3. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

how many tons can you hold ina 350? Whats better ford or chevy.?

4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Insurance is very high on a dump truck. Not worth the cost for only occasional use. If your doing a lot of dirt work, you could probubly justify it, For most other work, a ton truck with a landscaper bed would be more useful. Plus a lot cheaper to insure.

5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I made a deal today for a 2006 F-650 under CDL NEW for $42,000
    so you don't have to spend 60 grand on a nice truck. Also you can do 3 times the work with a bigger truck, less trips means less gas which means more money saved. You could aways haul for other people in your down time of year.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well thats just personal oppinion really. Myself I am a chevy man all the way. Duramax hooked to an allison linked to a huge 14 bolt rear is a win win combo no matter how you look at it. Fords automatics suck behind a motor makeing that much torque and my uncle has had his 2 year old F-250 with powerstroke and auto in the shop at least 6-8 times for brake problems and engine problems. All I can say is test drive one of each and make your decision based on that.

7. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a dump truck if you want to your business to really take off and if you are in this for the long haul get a dump truck. I bought a brand new 2005 GMC Sierra 3500 series two Marchs ago. Its the smallest 1 ton you can get. It has a 8 ft bed a 6.0 liter v8. I can hold 8 yards of mulch 5 yards of topsoil. When I am not landscaping I am cutting alot of grass and instead of bagging the grass in plastic bags, I just dump it in the truck, when Im done for the day just dump the grass...BIG time saver. My truck was 26,610 tax titled and licencse. GO for IT!

8. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

why brand new?

with all your costs (insurance,inspections,fuel,tires) i'd buy an older 3 ton dump.you'll show a profit faster on an older used dump than a brand new one.

9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You might want to wait and see what dodge is going to come out with. I know its going to be a 4500 and 5500 series truck. Should be good cause the are remaking the tranny and beefing up the engine. If you don't want to wait get a GMC 4500 or 5500, you can get them in 4x4, diesel, plow, aliison, auto, all power, around here for $45K. That the truck to get if you're hauling a mini-ex or skid steer. If you are using it just to pull a trailer with mowers then get a F350 or 3500 dump, make sure its 4x4, and diesel (wich you can pickup with a plow for around $35K-$38K without a plow you are looking at $32K- $35K) because the way gas is going diesel will should drop in price soon and you also get better fuel milage.
    Almost forgot, saw a F450 diesel dump 4x4 auto with 200 miles, yes only two hundred miles on ebay for $30K yesterday it still has 6 days to go.) Just type in F450 dump and it will be one of the the first trucks in featured items or the 5th truck down. Jared

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

How tall are the sides on this dump? They must be at least 4 feet tall to hold 8 yards of mulch. Let me know when and where you will be with 5 yards of topsoil on board. You will be going over 12,000 lb's in just dirt alone not counting the truck that is likely rated for only 11,000 lb's. That is just plain dangerous. Course I watched a Hispanic fella take 4,000 lb's of clay in the back of his S-10. Did not think it would make it out of the lot, but the bumper dragging on the ground was no deterrent for this determined fellow.