Deciding on a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ravwomyn, Jun 13, 2005.

1. ravwomyn

ravwomyn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

:help: I currently mow about 2.5 acres and I want to replace my current mower with a ZTR. I've been looking at some of the commercial models (Scag, Cub Tank, Toro, Hustler) and just get more confused the more I look. For mowing 2.5 acres is it beneficial to go with a commercial model, or is there a good residential model I can purchase and do a good job and save some money.

Thanks.

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire A Professional

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

A Cub TANK will last you a life time.... Take a good look at them and Demo. We have had great luck and great service.......Good Luck!!!! :waving:

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

You could go with a toro compact mower (commercial grade) and get a 44 or a 52" deck for pretty cheap......well when i say cheap i dont mean pennies but less than the others.

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i'd demo each one. cut your yard each week with the ones you are thinking about. the controls and cut will show you which one to get.

i'd never purchase another mower without demoing it....is that a word? :)

i like what All Ferris said, but i know why you want to buy one.

6. ravwomyn

ravwomyn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

:help: I've narrowed my search to the Toro ZX480 (residential model) and the Toro Z440 Pro (Commercial). Both have 48 inch decks. The residential model has a Briggs Twin INTEK engine and the commercial has a 19 hp Kawasaki Twin Cylinder. The commercial model is $1,800 more, is it worth the money to go with the commercial model, or is it over kill for mowing 2.5 acres.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I would say buy what your budget will afford. The residential model mowing 2.5 acres each week will likely last you a long time. The commercial with the kaw could possibly be the last mower you ever need to buy. That is assuming normal maintenence is taken done of course. If money is not a big issue I'd go with the commercial.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have the Toro 52" ZTR. It cuts fast and cuts nice.

9. ravwomyn

ravwomyn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

After looking around in the postings this evening, I'm worndering about checking out the Hustler Fastrak. It looks like some people have gotten them for a pretty good price and their web site states a 4 year warranty. Is the Fastrak a good machine?

10. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Demo,Demo,Demo. Get as many as you can. Frame,deck and warrantys are what is important. Fit the mower to your business not what the salesman wants to sell you. Allow for some growth,which is what you want to do. Good service is a must also. When you are making a living,you can't afford to have down time. Good Luck