deciding what trailer to get

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JCLawn and more, Aug 15, 2010.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I am thinking of a 20 foot enclosed or open trailer. What are some pro's and con's to both? I like in enclosed so I don't have to take anything off the trailer, and I could put a work bench in it with tools.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we started with an open

open trailer pros:
    convenience, just grab something from anywhere on the trailer
    fueling up was easier
    visibility while towing
    can also double as a debris hauler

enclosed trailer pros:
    much more professional image
    more secure
    equipment stays out of the elements
    cabinets, workbench etc...
    can take a piss in a bottle anywhere now,
    huge advertising space
    typically a better ride if you get torsion axles
    can take it camping

just remember that if you get an enclosed, take whatever size you were going to buy for an open trailer and add 4 feet, trust me. we went from an open 12'x6.5' and wanted to get a 20'x8.5' enclosed, when i went inside the 20, i knew it was going to be too small so we got a 24'x8.5'

[​IMG]

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

whats the reason for the extra 4? 24ft seems like a lot. I only got a 1500 truck for now. I should be fine with only one mower though. I want another front deck mower. So those 2 will take 17ft

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

I think I will be using my custom 8x5 a lot. I don't think a 20 or 24ft will fit in small driveways lol

5. Triple G Lawn and Snow

Triple G Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

if that 24' trailer only has tandem axles what size trailer do they start putting triple axles under them for enclosed trailers?

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

you can get small trailers with 3 axles. it depends on what the weight rating is

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

what is your axle ratings on that?

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a 20' trailer (enclosed or open) get the 5200lb axles...its an extra $100 compared to the 3500lb axles and adds about 50% more capacity to the trailer. My new 18' trailer is having 5200lb axles put on it, I doubt I will ever have that much on the trailer, but its nice to know that I won't overload it easily.

I chose to buy another open trailer mainly because I use my trailer to haul grass clippings and leaves throughout the year. Using an enclosed trailer would not have worked out well with hauling leaves and grass. Plus a comparable enclosed trailer was twice as much price wise.

9. JCLawn and more

from MI

the problem as I just learned with that is that if you have a weight rating on your trailer of 10,000 or more, you have to have a cdl. Its stupid