Deciding which mini tracked skidloader to buy

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Jimbo046, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

This is my first post on this site. I have read alot of great info already. With the end of the year coming i'm looking to spend some money and want to do so with as much info as possible. I think i'm going to buy a mini tracked loader. My questions are which one and will it really be useful to me. I already have a bobcat S185 cat 257b and a case cx-31 mini excavator? I like the fact that these smaller machines (mini's) are very easy to transport, easy to use and should fill the need of moving materials on smaller jobs without have to transport a 7000lb machine. I have tried the dingo tx413 tx420 don't think they will fit my needs. I just tried the boxer 224 viable tracks with honda engine, I was sure I would love it but as an experianced operator of various equipment it was not easy to operate at all. I didn't think I would want the mt52 but it is looking better everyday (haven't tried it yet) Let me know what you guys think. thanks Jim

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How much does the ASV RC-30 weigh? I know its more in the lines of the bobcat s185, but its still a small machine.

On a side note, I rent a case cx-36 all the time and love it.

3. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure the weight of the asv but i want something that will fit threw a 36 gate for the jobs other machines can't do.

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

5. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

Thanks that looks like a nice machine but i want a rubber tracked mini walk behind or ride on unit. anyone have a boxer? did you get used to the controls?

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Toro Dingo 425 widetrack. LUV it. The 420 is too small.

Have put a harley rake on the front and it works awesome.
    And any idiot can use it.

8. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

I'm just not that into the dingos i like the track system they have but that is about it. I want a good hinge pin height to load trucks, Boxer loaded our freightliner fl-60 we had to fold the sides down on our UD 1800 for the dingo 413 and 420 to load it. Bobcat seems to heavy and to has to much ground pressure. I really don't think a need a diesel. I have 7 diesels and I love them! Dad is a diesel mechanic even, but i just don't see us putting the hours on it like a diesel will do (last forever if you mantain it) diesel weight more, higher psi, and I could replace entire gas engine for 1500 bucks if i had to. the ditch witch sk500 looks very nice thanks Yardman you look like a big fan of that unit. My goal is to send this machine out with my guys for mostly landscape installs. tree planting, soil placment, river gravel, basically saving time and money and keeping guys fresh not pushing a wheel barrow all day. I need the tracks to be as smooth as possible for existing turf. I'm still not sure how much or what i'll use the machine for i can see a clear purpose to these machines but my 257b can do about 10 times and amount of material handling and soil placement in the same time, not sure if i'm even intersted in jobs that i have to take a great deal of materials though a 36" gate all day long. if i had to plant 3 trees and go thought a gate that would be a good application but i could put then on a tree cart and not make a mark anywhere, that needs to be clean-up. are there guys on here with skid steers tracked skidloader and mini excavator that use these minis alot??? please let me know. I'm not sure I want to be that guy that hauls mulch around someones property all day long with a dingo dumping little piles here and there, don't see that much more efficent unless you have a huge bucket and all the material is going up hill. You need an operator and these machine cost as much as a labor does to operate when you consider fuel cost, track component wear, depreciation, cost of machine, loading unloading, I think i have become very effiecent at doing things with what we have i just need to picture how it is we will use a mini tracked loader to determine which to buy and if it is worth the investment. thanks Jim

9. Chriscob

Chriscob LawnSite Bronze Member

I would advise anyone who is considering buying a miniskidsteer/Dingo to consider the ASV 30. I demoed many of the minis listed here and others but they were simply too unstable and limited. I demoed the ASV and the deal was done. If you're moving soil/materials around or loading a truck with spoilage I guarantee the ASV will do the work in at least 1/2 the time. And you'll feel much safer. I have 2 of the largest Bobcat available but we often leave them back at the shop now because the ASV is so agile and versatile it actually performs many tasks more efficently and it only weighs #3000 instead of #9000. And not only is it light-footed on lawns (just don't spin in circles) but it's virtually impossible to get stuck. I suggest you demo the minis first and then the ASV.
    And if you really want to "kick it up a knotch" with efficency buy something like a BriMar dump trailer to haul it with. I have the 14'/6 ton capacity model. I can put 2-3 yards of soil/ crusher run etc. in the front of the dump trailer and load the ASV behind it. I'll bring it to the jobsite, unload the machine and work directly out of the trailer to spread the material or, if I need to remove spoilage from the site, I can dump the material on the road or drive first, then load the spoilage and then move the material. Think of the versatility this brings if you must bring multiple materials to a jobsite. It'll save you from buying that other truck (with the added insurance/gas/repairs..) and hiring that other employee (ie.headaches).

And as far as the width, it's 48." But you have ask yourself how often do you need to go through a 36" gate. On the rare occasions we have to do that I merely take down a section of fence or remove a post. And on those jobs I bet you would still do the job faster with an ASV.

10. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

chris thank you very much.........that was very good insite. I do already have a 12' EZ dumper low pro so hauling it would be easy as you just mentioned. hauling the full sized bobcat doesn't work well in the dump trailer. You are right i don't have to go though gates that often and i'm not sure you could really even saftly get though a 36" i would not like letting my guys drive it though one. I'm going on asv web site to find a dealer thanks! Jim