decipher john deere serial numbers??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olazabel, Jul 27, 2008.

1. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

I bought a used JD 48" walk behind, and have the serial #, but don't know the year or model #.

Is there a way to tell the model # and year by looking at the serial #?

The serial number is: TY4811B107891

2. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

I tried a serial number search and that is not a valid serial number. Check it again and make sure. That TY on the front is more like a Deere part number, but it's too long to be a part.

Let me know and I'll get the year model and everything for you.

3. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

I was wrong on the serial #. I tried to do it from memory and got the last few numbers wrong, but the TY is correct.

I think it is the serial # (It is the # engraved on the silver plate near the back of the mower).

JD 48" commercial walk behind: SERIAL #: TY4811B106437

I also have a 36" JD walk behind SERIAL#: TY3611A103181

If you could help me out I would really appreciate it. The main reason I want to know the model# and year is so that I can get the correct manuals.

4. wheels910

Man, that didn't work either. They typically look like this TC7G18B****** with 7g18 being the model number. The g shows gear driven. H would be hydro. I don't doubt yours shows ty, this one i found shows tc.

Do you have any other numbers on the machine? The two you gave me don't show up in deere's system.

Let me know.

5. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

I appreciate you trying to help me out. I just got off the phone with a guy from a john deere service shop, and he told me it is a model TY48 from 1987.

Thats older than I thought it was, and might explain why its not in JD's computer systems.

Thanks again for your help.

6. wheels910

Your welcome. I'll do my best on Deere questions.

PS I was 9 when that mower was made. I'm claiming that as my ignorance to that model number.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old JD wb from the mid 80's that is a 52" gear drive, and has a 16hp B&S I/C inline twin cylinder on it. It is the older style with the square (flat) front. It's SN starts with TY, as well. this particular machine was actually manufactured by Bunton, and painted JD green and decked with JD decals (the wheels were painted JD yellow too, of course). Out of curiosity, does yours have the flat front, or pointed in the center? Both were built by Bunton. They switched when they went to the "crank up" deck lift with the yellow JD (stamped) deck.

8. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

It has the flat front with a sticker that says JOHN DEERE 48

I've been having trouble finding part #'s because no one knows what this mower is. Maybe now that I know it was manufactured by BUNTON it will be a little easier

I adjusted the blade height by moving the front wheels, and now the deck slants forward a little. Do you know if there is any height adjustment for the back?