Decision on which Grandstand mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clayslandscape, Mar 12, 2012.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a Grandstand mower. I have finally found 2 different ones. I would like to get your opinion on which one to purchase. I need to get this ASAP as I have started mowing.

OPTION 1:
    NEW FROM DEALER 2010 40" Grandstand. 2 hours. $6800
    I can get toro financing with this 0%for 24 months.

OPTION 2:
    2011 36" Grandstand Mower. 94.5 hours. Mulching Kit. $5000
    I have cash to be able to purchase this.

Thank you all for your opinion!

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any experience with the Grandstand but from other users I have hear that the 40" deck tends to clump/clog often since it is such a small deck and yet still has 3 blades.

But judging by the info you gave, the 36" looks like the better choice for you, I mainly say this because you can actually pay cash for the machine and don't have to finance.

3. clayslandscape

any more opinions?

4. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

I owned a Turboforce 40" deck and returned it before it was 2 weeks old. Ask for a demo if you'd like but get it in writing that they'll take it back if you don't like it. I replaced it with a 36" deck and am happy with it.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=318963

I really can't believe they're still selling the 40".

5. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Neither. I would do at least a 48" much better on hills and banks. I was told that the 36 and 40 are not stable on slopes to narrow. I have had mine 48 for 3 years love it. Buying a 52 next.

6. clayslandscape

I have a 48" toro already. I need a smaller mower for the areas I cut in many of the residential areas.

7. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Okay. I'm told the 40" is better than the 36" on hills. Not sure it matters if you have the 48". Good luck.

8. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

I never looked at that small of models as I have a 52 and a 60. My 52 is a 2010 with the bearing housings mounted under the deck. My 60 is a 2011 whith the bearing housings mounted above the deck. The 52 usually is more of a pain to scrape than the 60 so look for the one with the bearing housings mounted above the deck and should be easier to scrape

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

This may not be helpful to your situation, but we run a 40" grandstand and it is an absolute POS. Brand new machine ( <500 hrs). It is slow, unstable, controls are awkward, way to heavy for small areas and huge tires WILL tear up turf. I can't comment on any other Grandstand, but the 40 is one of the worst mowers I have ever used. My experience, 20+ years. Save your money.

10. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

Would have to agree with the lower half Clay. 48" at least due to hills, etc. We have one and it's great. If the 2 you mentioned are the only options, go with the larger deck. I have owned 44" toros for decades (literally, our oldest one that's about to retire is 20 years old) and they have no problem clumping.