Decision Time (Beginner)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by p2duece98, Jan 26, 2006.

1. p2duece98

p2duece98 LawnSite Member

I have aquired a pretty decent commercial account. 550 wk for 4 acres of cutting and some trimming and hedges. The mowing is pretty much wide open, however I plan to add maybe 30 residential lawns to the equation. I decided on a M2555k Bush Hog ztr for this which is great for that commercial lawn. As for many of the residential homes I have so far ,I will be able to get up to a 55'' mower in the back yard, but will the weight and even the size cause some complications on the residential side. If so could you recommend a solution to this problem. I was thinking maybe a 44'' or a 48'' ztr but will I run into the same problem.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe that mower plus a 36" to 44" walkbehind?

55" isn't too large for residentials, but like you say, the weight can be an issue depending on soil conditions. If you are always going to have access to backyards like that I would seriously look into a 44" Toro walkbehind, a little bigger and decent price would be a 48" Lesco belt, or even a hydro.

I don't think there are very many that can get by with just one machine (one size). I'm solo and I know I sure can't...

3. p2duece98

thanks. Ok instead of the 55'' what if I go with a 44'' or 48'' ztr for starters along with a 21'' WB. Then after some time and more customers I can pick up some more equiptment. It seems the 44''-48'' mowers are more versitile and can be used on residential lawns. So from that standpoint im looking to buy a 44''-48'' ztr, 21'' WB, a trimmer w/edger attachment, also a backpack blower. Does it seem sufficient for what im doing

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

for 4 acres of mowing in your commercial prop. a 48" walkbehind is going to struggle a little timewise, but it's do-able. If you want to go the walkbehind route, get a HYDRO. Look at Lesco's float deck hydro (same as cub cadet and mtd pro). For $3,700 you can get into that, add another $300 for a castering sulkey and you can do the large open areas standing and the small stuff walking. If you are in need of a catcher spend the extra $$ and get an aluminium Accelerator catcher.

For starting out it is a little silly to go into too much debt all at once with a new ZTR mower only. You can buy the Walkbehind, the 21", blower, trimmer, and edger for less than the cost of the Z and you can do it all...

5. p2duece98

Thank You for the time and the advice good sir.