Decisions! Box truck or 3/4 ton w/ utility bed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 25, 2012.

1. waters lawn care

waters lawn care LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I will give you another angle to look at this scenario. When working on engine's most of box truck work is done from inside of truck versus raising the hood on the pickup truck.Personally i would want a service truck hope this helps.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I also like the idea of a service truck. Being i have a tractor,skidsteer, and maybe a mini excavator soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I feel that for your situation, and reading through your previous post last week about the box truck that you should go with the utility body.

I have a 2006 GMC 2500hd crew cab 6' reg bed, and I only get 10mpg with the 6.0 engine. You may want to think about getting a utility body with a diesel.

If you really want to upgrade skid steers for this season, maybe that's what you should do because if im not mistaken you've been wanting to upgrade for the past few seasons. You can always try to trade the skid steer for a nicer truck and have the person with the truck add in cash. Then you can go buy a new skid steer, or used and get financing.

-michael

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

I am making the same decision. So far I am leaning to a utility truck the only diffrence is I would like one that cover the bed so I can lock up things in the bed.

5. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I have that exact same truck and love it. Its a 96 but it runs like new!

6. KrayzKajun

Thats good to know. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

They are perfect for irrigation, easy to access and organize parts.

8. KrayzKajun

Thts wht i was thinking. Ease for service calls and locking up saws/spare chains/ oil etc... For tree work
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote service body. More versitile, and if your other truck breaks down you still have a truck to use. I wouldn't like using a box truck for running around in they are pretty big. I have a dump and never use it unless I have to. It's a pita to get around,backing up, and park .

10. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

What's the Dodge going in the shop for?
    Posted via Mobile Device