decisions, decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Sep 7, 2004.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

I've been mowing lawns for about 5 years now and Im 18, right now I own a 36" belt scag WB. I have about 30 lawns a week I mow and make around $600 a week. I've herd many things about a hydro WB being better than a belt WB. Next year I want to move a little up on my business and get some better equipment and higher paying properties in nicer subdivisions. I want to buy a 48" hydro next year but I dont know if its worth it. How much would a new one cost? How much would a used one cost? Should I go new or used? I plan on still mowing for another 2-4 years( maybe more.. who knows?).
    Any Advice? thanks, chris

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A hydro will perform better in wet conditions and on hills, as they are no drive belts to slip and stretch. Everything else being equal, the quality of cut is no different from a belt drive.

I would recommend checking with your dealer about the pros and cons. They will probably let you demo one to get a feel for it.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

30 lawns, 600.00. That comes out to about $20/lawn. I think you need to look at that too. If you have been mowing lawns for 5 years, you should be able to hone your clients so that you're making about a buck a minute.

4. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

the lawns that I do take at max 20 mins, so usually, I am making 60 bucks an hour (buck a min) or at least very close to it. I dont really mow during when the grass is wet, so would a Hydro be that much better for me, and I dont really ever feel it slipping when im on hills.

5. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

The hydro's big advantage is its' reverse and handling capabilities. It does not have a reverse assist, it actually moves you (sulky) and the mower in reverse. And as far as the handling, it is far superior.

However, that comes with a price tag that is much higher. Evaluate your needs and see what will work best for you. As for me, if I can keep debt down I do. But, some things are worth the extra $$$$.

Also, some may disagree, I think the cut difference between a 36" and a 48" is quite a bit. When you have a 48" you have now cut your time down enough that you can effectively do the bigger properties. Yet, your small enough to still comfortably fit on the smaller yards.