Decisions ... Decisions.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CP Estates, Nov 29, 2005.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

With the many options out there today, I'm looking for some input from you all on the best 60" mower to buy and most importantly - why? I'm in Canada and am not sure which accessories (if any) are worth having the ability to add on. I'll be cutting about 15 - 20, 2 acre estate lots.

Here are some factors that all make a significant difference to the price:
    2WD or 4WD
    Zero Turn or not
    gas or diesel
    Heavy gage deck, Bagger, Blower, Vacuum etc.
    ... and on and on and on.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What do you have for dealers around you? How much are you willing to spend?
  3. CP Estates

from North

The price part of the question. You can always say "we'll it's only a few hundred more" until all of a sudden you're spending twice what you started looking at.

For easy math, I'm thinking around $10,000 CDN ($7,500 - $8,000 US)
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Steiner or Ventrac both are the same design and both are fantastic mower/tractor. with many attachment available plus they can be configured in anyway you want. IE diesel, size and type of deck, 2 or 4x4 double wheels for slopes etc. Its the only mowers that will allow you to grow from just cutting 1 lawn to complete installs with all the attachments that are available. and most dealers rent the attachments

You posted right before I did so forget my post, your a few K low for a steiner

Of course another way of looking at it is, spend $8k to make $50k a yr or spend $15k to make $150k a yr. and only have to buy once
  5. CP Estates

from North

The Steiner seems to be in a category of it's own.

So far I've seen Gravely, Kubota, ExMark and Wright. But is the extra 2-grand worth spending for diesel over gas and for 4wd over 2wd?