Decisions...........Decisions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay's Lawncare, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Okay guys, I have been reading through posts here for quite a while now, I have only been in business for two years 2003-2005. In January '05, I decided that I needed to gather capital to expand without having to take out loans, so I decided to do some contract work in Iraq. I have been here since January '05. I dont have to tell you guys how difficult it was to read the posts about everyone gearing up for the new season and such all the while I am over here away from it all. Anyway on to the reason for my post.

I have managed to put back about 30k for the business. I have the opportunity to extend my contract over here for another year. Now, if i choose to stay, when i return I will have saved in excess of 60k and will have paid for my house. Which would you guys choose? Also, those who would advise me to come back to the states and use the 30 grand, how could the money best be utilized. In my area of operation, I am cutting mainly residentials ranging in size from 1/2 acre to a full acre. Currently I have a front mount Woods Mow N Machine and Stihl trimmers, blowers, and edgers. How might the money serve my needs....thanks in advance guys for your input......Also, my intentions are to expand to at least two crews.

Jay

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

First Jay, get all the lawns you can handle by yourself then look to expand. You would be surprised how much you and a couple of guys can get done in a week. I personally would not put the cart before the horse, I would hate to see you invest 30k into equipment then have it sit there for a couple of seasons wasting away. If I had a family and I could come home, hell yeah I would be on the next plane out! My hats off to all of the BRAVE men and women over there!:drinkup:

3. Jay's Lawncare

at the time i left, I had 84 residential lawns being serviced by myself and a helper. During my time away I have actually learned quite a bit about marketing/advertising, scheduling, and various other business aspects. My intentions are to launch an advertising campaign in early to mid march so that should I decide to come home this year, by the time im home I can hit the ground running........hopefully.....jay

4. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Just curious, what type of work are you doing over there? NOTE: If telling me means that your gonna have to kill me then forget it.

Personally, they would have to pay me a HELL of a LOT of $$$$$ before I would even consider going there.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I would get out of Iraq........ come back, invest the 30K and use it to buy what you need as you gradually grow.....and let the money grow also.....

I have a friend that was making $120,000 a year as a firefighter the first $80,000 was tax free. It is still not enough to get me there.

Derek

6. Jay's Lawncare

lol, nah, jockey, I won't have to kill you. I work in IT here. I get the its dangerous thing a lot from people from back home. In actuality, believe it or not, it is a lot safer over here than people would lead you to believe.....Jay

7. Jay's Lawncare

any other opinions?

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would consider staying over there another year, but if you did not I think I would finance a new mower and use 10k for advertising and 20k as a safety net.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Mate, I would pay off the house! Thats generally why we work anyway isnt it. Pay off the house, send kids to good schools etc.

If you can own the house, thats one big monkey off ya back.

There will always be lawns to cut when you get back!

Good luck!

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Something for you to think about......The odds of you being hurt,maimed,killed, are directly proportional to the amount of time you spend over there.

GET, while the getting is good!!!