decisions for next spring

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by martyman, Jun 13, 2003.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I am currently using a 36" Ferris to do 60 properties (mix of large lot homes and small and two commercial). I have been working 6 years on my own and have slowly upgraded from 21" to belt drive 36" wb to the Ferris. My Ferris dealer can bring in a Exmark for me and I will probably purchase one in the spring but I am still debating which machine. Cost is a big consideration here in Canada and I want to purchase the right machine. I find that the single drive Ferris with a Kawi 13hp is underpowered for my Pro-slide but I do have quite a few properties with slopes so I worry about a machine with a much larger engine will be too much to handle. I am also debating the floating deck fixed deck. Anyway would appreciate any input on my situation. I thought the Ferris would be a machine that I would use for a few years but one season and I need some more power and I would like to find a machine that will suit my needs and actually work well for a few years. I have seen quite a few guys in my area purchase the Walker and zero turn riders and they do not suite my situation.

THanks Marty

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Marty,

Thanks for the post.

The Viking hydro and the Turf Tracer HP are both available with the 15 hp Kawasaki twin. The 15 should easily handle the demands you've described. I wouldn't concern myself too much with how a larger engine will effect the mowers performance on hills. Often the added weight can help plant the tires to the turf for a little better traction.

The Viking is a great machine and it's been a solid performer for many years. The Turf Tracer HP on the other hand is not only a solid performer but it also has all the bells and whistles. The floating deck, quick height adjustment and the simplified belt adjustments make it a bit more user friendly.

Either machine would be a good choice but you may want to consult your local Exmark dealer. He/she should have a better understanding of your terrain and growing conditions that I do and should be able to recommend one or the other.

One more thing you may want to consider is whether or not a 48" or larger may fit your needs as well.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Thankyou for your reply...The Viking was the machine that I had my eye on with the ECS and I would like the floating deck but cost again here in Canada makes the buy less selective also the service and lack of purchase options (I won't use the Toro card ever again because of there horrible credit company *House Hold Finance) I pay them in full and they still mail me bills with hidden charges and I call them and they apologize and remove them, sneaky company.

Lets hope that I can find a retailer that will provide fair sales and service in Toronto before spring 2004

Marty Fowler

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Marty,

Here would be my recommendation for a quality dealer in your area.

4WD Equipment Centre
    225 Nugget Ave., Unit 14
    Scarborough, ON M1S 3L2

Phone: 416/321-0660

Contact Greg Capon at 4WD. Greg's a good guy, and he'll treat you right. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Talk to you later,

Dustin

5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey marty have you ever used a hydro-drive mower. I have a viking with a 15hp kohler engine on it. Get plenty of power from the engine. My friend has a bobcat blet drive with the kaw v-twin it seems like to me that there isn't much of a difference in thick grass except for when there is a sulky on the machines.