Decisions... John deere or Stihl ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Sep 17, 2003.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I need new trimmers and blowers....... Looking at the Stihl FS85r and the JD XT120... I have tried the JD and thought is was really smooth and quiet, but have not had the opportunity to try the Stihl... What do you think anybody use both of these ???

Back packs.... I think I am going with the BP 60 from JD ?? Or should I go with the Stihl BR what ever ... ??

Thanks

And no.. I am not buying anymore REDMAX ..........

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish you a lot of luck with stihl because I didn't have any after 12 blowers and 7 years finally settle for redmax, they said echo is pretty good too.

Must be the location, temperature or something around my area that stihl blowers don't last very long, some people swear by them.

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I use John Deere and RedMax for Trimmers and for Blowers ECHO or STIHL, but mostly ECHO for blowers, I find STIHL to make good lawn equipment but even better tree cutting equipment.

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

The reason I am looking elsewhere than Red max, is that their new stuff is just not holding up and Ive invested too much in trimmers and blowers that are rotting... need reliable equipment.. The JD seems to not have all that fancy emmisons junk yet... I am sure they do, it's just not noticible in the machines.. other than the fact that they are soooo quiet....

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

12 blowers in 7 years.. WOW.... Thats pretty bad unless you have 6 guys using them ??? I'm on 5 in 8 years solo... which to me is way too much... especially since the the one i am using now I baught in 96 and the one I baught last year is in the scrap pile already.... What s up with that ....

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh the only thing Sthill i'll touch are the chainsaws.

Have you tryed Shindaiwa Before?

I have found of all the 2 cycle stuff I've owned Shiny sets the bench mark.

7. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey,
    I made the mistake of buying a John Deere xt105sb. Thinking the other ones were too expensive. Now I regret for not buying a better one because I spent 25 on a new head which was well over $300. If you get a Deere go for more power. You'll feel the difference if you use anything else. I cant stand using my Deere because I didnt use enuff power. My $250 Echo weedwacker from Home Depot feels more powerful. Prolly wont last as long but more powerful.

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Pinnacle , I looked at the shiny s and they seem toooo similar to the Red Max, someone had said, dont remember if it was here or not that RM and Shin were made by the same company .. Same engines... Seeing how poorly the new RM's perform , did not want to take the chance with their twin ?? May be wrong on that though... But I think I saw the name Zenoh on both of them ??

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

yeah Cheese dog.. Th e 105 is like a homeowner model... I was looking at the 120 , tried the 140 and liked it but dont need all of that power for just doing trimming and edging............. Other than the power, how does the 105 feel... Solid ?

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer, stick edger, BP blower, chain saw, hedge trimmer.

My first line of 2 cycle equipment is all John Deere, never a bit of problem out of any of it.

My back up units are all Stihl.

After using both, this is the favor-ability I've put them in. JD equipment has worked great any time all the time. Stihl, once in a while a stubborn start, but that's about as serious a problem I've had, plus the Stihl dealer has developed an attitude lately.

Have considered RedMax, but like you, they seem to be popping up on the trouble charts a lot lately.

I think it's Glan that swears by TMC brand, he sure makes them sounds interesting. But I can't find locally, only via order, don't care for that.