Deck adjustment for best cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Apr 1, 2001.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 44" floating deck w.b. I was wondering should the deck be the same height in the front as the back? I have heard that off setting the deck can provide a better cut in thick fescue. Just curious, thanks for responses.
  2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Set at the same height, the factory sets the pitch on the wb.
  3. What size are the drive tires? Does the front castors have spacers on the bottom?
  4. linky

linky LawnSite Member

The drive tires are 16x7.50-8"
    The front casters do have spacers on the top but not sure about the bottom. I will lok at them tomarrow.
  5. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

My hopper says to set the rear 1/8 inch higher for less lug and better cut but dont know about your setup?

Just my .02.

6. linky

linky LawnSite Member

The front casters have 2 spacers under and 3 over.
  7. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 LawnSite Member

On most mowers it makes no difference. The manufactures state that 1/4 inch is how it should be. I set mine in the middle ( I own all scag mowers so its 2 spacers below the housing and 2 above). What brand is it???
  8. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Its a Toro.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If its a TORO floating deck, don't you adjust the height with 4 pins to the top of the deck? I never had a TORO, but Lawrence Stone is the godfather of TORO WB's. I would think that on these type mowers, that the pitch is set from the factory. Just set the height that you want, say 3". It should be 3" at the front tip of the blade, and 3 and 1/8 or 1/4" at the rear. You have it made, on the fixed decks, it becomes a little more confusing as to how to achieve a certain height, AND correct pitch, WITHOUT removing bade spacers from under the deck and making it cut worse.

10. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Thanks, I talked with the dealer and he said the deck pitch is already set. Thanks