Deck and Motors

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by smlavin, Dec 26, 2004.

1. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Terry,

I am doing a little research before I send some money on my new mower and I could use your input.

What deck size on a Lazer HP does Exmark sell the most of?

Also, what motor, Kawasaki or Kohler, does Exmark sell the most of for the Z's?

These questions won't address all the questions I have but they will tell me what most people are going with.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

The most popular deck sizes and engines over all may not be much help to you because what is extremely popular in one region may not be the best machine for another. In the case of engines things get even more confusing. One engine manufacturer may do a phenominal job of training, parts support and tech support in one region only to struggle in another. Your dealer is going to stock and promote the engine that he/she gets the best support for. I believe in your part of the world you really can't go wrong with either engine choice.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Haha...there is a politically correct statement if I ever saw one.

The 52" HP has the most ground speed. The 44" and 48" are noticable slower. A lot of 44" mowers are sold in my area. Usually because many people that buy them are going from a 36" w/b and are afraid of the larger deck. I would bet that overall the 52"HP w/ 23 Kawi is the overall best seller. Most of the older companies get a 52" or larger deck on Z's. They have the data, customers, and employees to use them. Time is money, so the largest deck possible on an account is most productive. The 52" HP is the best of both worlds. You get short footprint for tight areas, and larger deck with higher ground speed for larger properties.

4. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry, but right now my dealer has one 2004 Lazer HP 48" with a 20 Kolher that he is trying to move before the 05's come in. So he is promoting those features right now. I was trying to determine if his sales pitch will change when his inventory is once again full. In other words, Am I looking at a really good deal or the last of the leftovers?

Had a friend tell me once, after I bought the last puppy, that "You should never buy the last puppy. There is a reason it is still there." I lived to regret not having that advice before I got the dog!" lol

The good news is, "The last Exmark puppy may still be better than the first of most other breeds!" :)

Hope you enjoyed Holidays with your family.
    Steve

5. eXmark

Hoss,

Many of the items you mentioned are correct and I personally prefer the 52". However in many regions the widest deck, highest speed and most trim capacity are not the best sellors.

Terry

6. eXmark

Steve,

There are really very few changes on the HP for 05. Much of the price increase is due to the increased cost of steel this past year. Once we released our pricing for 04 the price of steel balooned at a rate never before....... at least in my lifetime. We really could not go back and tell all of our dealers that because our costs went up we had to pass that along during mid-season to them. During 04 this forced us to become a more efficient manufacturer. Consequently while prices did go up in 05 due to the increased cost of steel they did not go up as significantly as they could have.

The 04 Lazer HP is an excellant machine and I can thing of no reason to hold of for an 05.

Thanks

Terry

7. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry,

I figured the higher price of the 05 was more a matter of discounting the last 04 to move it.

I think you are right. If I go with an HP there is no wrong decision. It's just a matter of determining which is righter. (Is that a word?) lol

Exmarks are everywhere in my area and that says a lot. Also, it appears the local dealer isn't just the best Exmark dealer but the best dealer - period - in my area. That, and Exmarks reputation, has helped me go in this direction.

I figure the Exmark will last me a few years so I want to make the absolute best decision and really don't want it to be based mostly on price or the "New Mower Fever" I get when I walk into my local dealership!

65hoss lives in my region of the country where home and lot sizes are very similar so his knowledge is valuable in this decision.

Steve

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The 44" a friend of mine got at the beginning of 04 was an 03 leftover. Its been a good machine. I wouldn't hesitate getting a leftover 04 before the 05 arrives. The eXmark warrenty is still in place and you have the best customer service guys in the business right here online.

Terry, he is in mississippi. His area is close to what mine is probably. But you are correct, sometimes other issues dictate what size mower. But there is such a small difference in size with the 44 and 48" mowers. From operating all 3 sizes, anywhere I could put a 48" I could put a 52". Just about anywhere I put the 44" I could get a 48" in.

Get the 04 and save some $$. It will produce for you and make you happy.

9. eXmark

Steve,

You are correct on all counts. There really isn't a wrong choice and Hoss's advice is always good advice. You'd be suprised how much we learn from Lawnsite. While we are supposed to be the "Experts" on Exmark equipment we too learn something each and everyday. Often our education comes from guys like Hoss, the other LS members, our time spend on the phone and during our travels to the various regions of the country.

To be honest most days I learn something new and these are the good days. A day spend with out learning something new is kind of a waste. That being said............Thanks guys all you do for us.

Terry