Deck Baffles & Striping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScagDaddy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ScagDaddy

ScagDaddy LawnSite Member

Have you moved your deck baffle to get a better striping result? I know on my Scag the baffles are set in the middle. Does lowering or raising them have an effect on stripes?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

This is where a little ignorance on my part may show, but if you drop them to the lowest setting, wouldn't it maximize vacuum? Am I correct in thinking vacuum leaves the stripe?

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here goes stripes are created by bending the grassin specific directions so that the light reflects of differently. Now as far as vacum goes it will actually lessen the striping effect. Why you may ask becasue the vacum in the deck straightens out the blades of grass for cutting. This is why some of the better cutting mowers do not strip as well. The way to get around this is to add a triping kit to the mower. Most often this kit is a roller that roles the grass blades in the specific direction you are going. We used to use a rubber flap mounted to the back side of the deck to do the same thing. I hope this helps

4. tb8100

from TX

See, I told you my ignorance would show in this thread. What causes certain mowers to stripe better than others (without striping kits). I've seen Bad Boys, Scags, Exmarks, Toros, and others. What is causing the bending of the grass if not vacuum? My curiosity is piqued.

5. tb8100

from TX

anybody have any input on this?

6. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's all deck pitch. One of my mowers stripes unfortunately but I haven't messed around much with the pitch to correct it.

I must be the only guy on this site that thinks stripes are tacky and pointless. I actually had a complaint about the stripes. I would gripe too if my lawn looked like that.

7. ScagDaddy

Lots of people preach deck pitch...the rest of them preach striping kit. I personally think it has a lot to do with the grass itself.

8. tb8100

from TX

Aw come on, they look sharp! As long as they're straight. :drinkup:

9. ScagDaddy

I'll have to mess around with the deck pitch on my mower some more. I couldn't quite get it at a 1/4". If I did the back of the deck didn't have any tension on the chains. How about lowering the front tire pressure slightly?!?

10. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

since we're talking about tacky stripes. I've got a funny story from high school.

My friend was a little off. His parents went out of town for a week. He was told to mow the yard. WELL, He gotter done and decided to drop the deck all the way down and scalp a certain mens magazine bunny logo into his parents front yard. We all thought it was hilarious, but his mom did not approve.

just a story about lawn appearance