Deck belts at Auto Parts store?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AderholtLawnCare, Oct 20, 2011.

1. AderholtLawnCare

AderholtLawnCare LawnSite Member

I searched but did not see the answer to my question so I'm sorry if this is common knowledge or if the answer is posted on the website.

My question is regarding deck belts and if they can be purchased at an auto parts store. I seem to remember reading that they can be and was wondering if anyone has ever purchased one from a local auto parts store. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Probably depends on the auto part store.

3. AderholtLawnCare

What about Autozone, Advance, Napa? I have quick access to most major retail chains locally. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you can if you know exactly what you need before you walk into the store.
    mike

5. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

You will be wasting money on automotive belts. OPE belt are made with Kevlar to last longer. That is why they cost more.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Not to sounds like a jag off, but why don't you just call them and ask? The worst they can say is no...probably.

7. AderholtLawnCare

Thanks MCC. Just the length and width of the belt?

Good point 93C.

Thank you Stihl, I was afraid of that. I've bought a few at $100 a piece or so and was trying to save myself some money. I'd probably end up losing money if the auto belts are not of the same quality of the OPE belts.

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct, you can get them there but they will wear and break fast.

9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I have had the best luck at car quest or fleet farm of my dealer isn't open, doesn't have it, or is a brand that is sold out of area. Tried auto zone. They don't keep crap and the belts break fast.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AderholtLawnCare

Thanks Green Star. Looks like I'll be buying the more expensive belt. Thanks for the help guys.