1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deck berarings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, May 22, 2002.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had a crappy week two weeks ago, here it is growing like mad, I am behind, had a weed eater sieze up, broke a belt, and had a spindel bearing goes south. So what do I do, I fix it. Now heres the problem, I now have another one that is going, I pulled the whole thing off because I can't get the thing apart. I have to take it to a machine shop to get it pressed apart.

It is the down time that is killing me.

How long does a bearing usually last?
    When you have one go do you replace all of them?
    Do you replace them all every so often?

The Great Dane is on the start of its 3rd year JUST went out of warrenty, and has a little over 500 hours on it.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

man i sympathise,when it rains it pours.
    im not familar w gd spindles. my lazers have 1500 hrs on them. ive replaced one but it was because i cross threaded the blade bolt.
    i spend several hrs. a week on maintenance to try an catch these
    type days before they happen .
    they still happen ,just not as many.
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel for ya! I have a 2 year old Exmark Metro that has been sitting in my garage for the past year or so because of recurring spindle problems. I only get about 1 month out of the bearing closest to the discharge shoot. I grease the bearings every day and still only get about 1 month. That was a big factor when I decided to purchase my Turf Tiger rather than the Lazer. No more cast aluminum spindles for me.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

man u did get a lemon ,huh