1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Deck blow out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris McCrary, May 3, 2011.

1. Chris McCrary

Chris McCrary LawnSite Member

I have a block off plate on my Scag. Now I will not take it off, but the blow out its pretty bad. I was thinking about drilling some holes in the plate to help some air escape. Has anyone done this? I was thinking about mulching kit, but I am satisfied with everything except the extreme amount of crap I get covered with. Any suggestions to make my current set up better without throwing a bunch of $$ at it? Thanks

2. storm75

storm75 LawnSite Member

Other than trying some different blades maybe, the best way to stop blowout is to lower the front baffle. I welded a strip of 1/8 inch plate under one of my mowers. But if you get it too low it will effect the quality of cut. I mainly just do this for mulching leaves.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that reduces blowout is a thick turf. We run several Scag units with blockoff and they all throw out massive amonts of dust. I got dust goggles and good dust mask and let er rip. Messing with that baffle won't help but no lift blades help and sometimes I run lower engine speeds.