deck cannot be leveled

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by zz218, Dec 14, 2003.

1. zz218

zz218 LawnSite Member

lazer z 60" 25 kohler serial #416565 23 hrs total on hr meter. Have tried and tried folowing directions in owners manual. can get all chains tight except r/r corner. Approx 1/2" -3/4" slack. Loosen adjustment push all the way up still 1/4" off. I have noticed that rear deck pivot rod where chains at rear of deck attach are not at same level. With deck all the way up the top of l/r is parrellel to ground but the top of the r/r is 10 -20 degrees lower. This cannot be adjusted that i can find because all joints are welded. If they are supposed to be equal or could have the chain on r/r streched? No bagger is installed deck has never been stepped on. I am the only one that uses this machine so it hasn't been abused. I feel that i am fairly competent on mechanical issues i work on Jaguars, Land rovers , and Range rovers at my day job but have given up on trying to level deck. My solution was to put a 6mm bolt through r/r chain to pull out extra slack. Still this adjustment is within 4 threads of being all the way in. I hate to not fix this right but have people depending on me to take care of their lawns. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ZZ218,

Thanks for the post. Deck leveling is easier than it's ever been before however it's still difficult to explain via e-mail.

Here's what I would like to do. The unit is well with in the warranty period and I assume your season has slowed significantly. I'd like to get your mower into the dealer for inspection. If it's something as simple as fine tuning the adjustment then we'll be able to get it fixed. With a little luck we even be able to show you how it's done so you'll be better able to adjust it yourself the next time. If it's something more than that then we want to find out and make sure you're getting the full benefit your warranty.

Let me know who your dealer is and I'll give them a call to tell them what to look for.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

2 eXmark lazer's and to date I have never had to touch the deck. Why do so many people insist on messing with the decks?

What made you start messing with this mower with only 23 hours on it?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is the exact kind of thing that we are talking about when we speak LOUDLY about factory support. This is one of the many threads that could earmarked or lined with a star or something as an example of why we call it the "Exmark Advantage".
    By reading this last post, one would almost be inclined to think that you (Terry) are the owner of the company. Please keep doing what you are doing, as it it almost gives up bragging rights when we are recommending mower purchases here on the outside. Thank you again. ;)

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure Terry is a terrific guy, but unless he personally does the work, you are at the mercy of the dealer you bring it to and not Terry. Sorry, but this post is no different than any other post. Frankly, your response is what makes of us realize some posts are just a lot of "hot air". Exmark is a fine machine, but don't get overboard about it...........
    Pete

6. zz218

zz218 LawnSite Member

do i need to take back to original dealer in jax fl. or can i take it to local dealer. Before the question is asked the price was about a thousand dollars different to purchase in jax. I called local dealer prior to purchase and they weren't willing to match deal. I guess it would be like a new car any dealer will gladly do warranty repairs but just want to make sure.
    Local dealer is griffin bike and mower (912)264-0621
    thank you for your assistance

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Possibly, if Terry is the great rep he sounds like, should already be in touch with your dealer or a dealer that's competent to do the work correctly and email as to where to bring the machine.

8. eXmark

ZZ,

You can take you unit to any Exmark dealer. You can however generally expect them to put their customers ahead of you in line. Again I'm assuming that things have slowed down in your area so that's probably not a real big deal right now.

I'll call Griffith today however there's really not much to tell them until the machine is in there and we can get an idea for how far the deck is off, if the RR is the only side effected etc. There are several factors that could be causing an issue. Like I said before it may be something as simple as fine tuning the adjustment procedure.

Thanks

Terry

9. eXmark

Runner,

I just wanted to say thanks. We appreciate the kind comments. It's a pretty good gauge to whether we are meeting, exceeding or falling short of our customers expectations.

The truth is in a way I am part owner of the company as is each one every one of us here at the plant and in the field. The truth is that just like an owner each Exmark employees success is based on the companies success. Do I get to make certain decisions and have input on how as a company we should proceed? You bet I do now more than ever. Do I get to sit down with the company pres. and give him my opinions so he can ultimately make a decision? You bet I do. Granted I don’t have the parking spot right up front but I do get the ownership for what I do whether that is good or bad as does each and everyone of us here.

The attitude around here is that each and every one of us is working together to design, build, manufacture, market and service the best equipment possible. Maybe I’m not an owner but I sure feel like it sometimes…..maybe that’s why we’ve had a little success……..maybe that’s why we like to think of everyone that has spend their hard earned dollars an Exmark as a partner and more than just a customer.

THANK YOU RUNNER and all those who’ve given us a chance to do what we do this year.

Everyone here at Exmark from the newest plant or staff member to Henry who’s been around longer than the dirt under the plant would like to thank you and wish you a very merry Christmas………even you Pete.

Have a merry Christmas everybody.

Thanks

Terry

10. eXmark

ZZ,

I talked to Roddey at Griffin's and he is aware that you are having a problem. Please give him a call, he'll be there unit 3:00 today as well as tomarrow a.m.

I've asked him to give me a call as soon as he is able to fit your machine into his schedule so we can get any issues corrected.

Thanks

Terry