1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deck cleaner

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by awm, Aug 30, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if a company wanted to get the edge on the competition.
    a series of little devices that break the cling loose from the deck.
    with exmark im sure this would be possible and it would be a huge help. it can be done
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We know that deck build up is an issue for guys, mostly people cutting Bluegrass, Ryegrass, and Fescue. We have tried a few things but nothing seem to be the all-in-one answer.

The biggest problem is making it work for the commercial cutters. I know people have had good luck with sprays, special paint, and different blade types. The trick is finding the one thing that does the most for you, in the least amount of time spent. There are a lot of variables and sometimes it's hard to determine what's all going on.

We would be happy to hear any input you folks have. We don't have All the answers and we sure would listen to anything you have to say.

Thanks, Fred.
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I was surprised to find that there are many bolt heads on the underside of my deck on my LazerZ 60". They interefere with easily scraping the heavy build-up under the deck which accumulates due to the mostly wet cutting conditions we have here north of Seattle. The very first thing for you to do is eliminate these or reduce the interference by using carriage bolts.

Next, you should be testing different types of materials with polymer based ingredients which reduce or eliminate buildup. I realize that this might not be desired by all, but maybe offered as an option. I'm not thinking of coatings or sprays here, but the actual deck materials--since I'm not a scientist or engineer I don't know what's available but I'm thinking some type of high tech plastic or resin, maybe used as a two piece deck with the steel outer shell and inner plastic liner. I'm just thinking out loud here and obviously it will cost more, but you get what you pay for.

BTW, I have used the MoDeck and another spray and I've experimented with various solid and notch foil blades both high and low lift and all help to varying degrees, but it sure would be easier if I could just easily scrape the underside without hitting all those #@!$%()^*#@ bolt heads! Don't forget though, I love my Lazer and would buy it again in a minute.
    Will M>
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mr. Ziffel,

Thanks for the ideas. We have looked at a few of these. Like you stated, making some of these changes will increase the cost of the machine.

I know about the issues with the bolts collecting grass. The bad thing about using carriage bolt is cracking from the square hole. You did however start me thing of what else a person could use instead. There is a bolt that uses an Allen wrenches that is a pan head bolt. That would work the same as the carriage bolt, but I don't know if they make them in the size that we need.

The only thing I can see bad about a polymer product is abrasion resistance. We have poeple in the southern states that can wear though a deck shell in a 1-year time.

Very good ideas keep them coming. I will relay your in put to our Product Planning.

Thanks, Fred.
  5. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Button head capscrew. Only drawback is the low profile doesn't allow full engagement of the wrench. If you can, upsize to the next dia. if possible. ( it's only really a problem when you have to remove them.)

Any size you need they have...:D

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

perhaps something similar to the device used in cake pans.
    they spin around the pan. it would take several on the deck
    and could be fixed so they operated from top of deck.
    just one idea. somebody canmake a mint if they solve the problem. thanks for your answers