1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deck cleaner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Apr 11, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

got an idea from nick on another forum. i made a version of his idea. take one of these rotating sprinklers . preferably plastic.
    cut the pipe at about an inch an half or so.in other wds remove the sprinkler head so all u have is a plastic pipe standing an inch or so up. this type sprinkler has its own platform.
    slide it under the middle of your deck and turn the water on. next start the mower and engage bldes at a slow speed.
    worked pretty good for me today . had the deck clean in a few minutes . this can be used at customers house but u may need a platform to park the mower on. 1/4 inch plywood mabe.
    after u are done take the clippings to where ever u can get rid ofum.
    some are concerned about their spindles an the water . if thats the case dont do it ,but it sure worked good for me.
  2. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

My New hollands have a built in cleaner. hook a hose up to the outlet on top of the deck lower all the way turn on deck. have to do it everydy or it gets to built up though.
  3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Hmmmm, that is not a bad idea!:D
  4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Our Toro Proline 21" mowers also have a deck cleanout built into the mower deck for this exact reason.

5. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

Wonder if that could void warranty on spindles & other lower end mechanicals? I'll read my warranty again.

Sounds like a good idea though.:)
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My grandfathers old (circa 1960's) 21" Toro pushmower had this feature. It was a hose connection on the top of the deck. You threaded in a hose turned it on, and started the mower. Next thing you know, you had 23lbs of wet green slime all over the walkway! Then you had to shovel this mess up and dispose of it. It was just as easy to tilt the mower up, and scrape it out. At least it wasn't all wet.

I dont know how well this would work on a 3 bladed system though. Dont think the water would have enough effect by the time it made it to the 3rd blade enclosure.
  7. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I have done basically the same thing with 3/4" PVC pipe. Form a "T" shape with the PVC. The horizontal part of the "T" is approximately the width of your deck. The vertical portion is about two feet long so that it sticks out front of the deck. Get a fitting that a hose will screw in to at the base of the vertical portion. Using a 1/16" bit, drill several holes on the upper surface of the "T" which is beneath the deck. Turn on the water....then the blades. Works great, but you do have to use it when the clippings are still fresh.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to follow up . this thing needs a little work,to be really suitable.
    1st house i tried it at today had about 20 lbs water pressure.:(
  9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

When machine is propped up to change the blades just use a paint scraper to remove the grass?

These are some interesting ideas.