Deck Cleaning Made Easi(er)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 6, 2004.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

More than likely, I am the only guy on the planet that didn't know these things exist, but in case there is someone else out there who doesn't, I thought I'd pass this along.

I was looking for a tarp to put under my mower when I clean the deck, and happened upon what I think, was labeled as a "Yard Tarp". I've since seen them at other places, by different makers. Anyhow, they are simply a plastic/fabric tarp of about 5X6 feet or so, with a rope looped through the perimeter. Just the right size to scoot under the deck. Then, when you get through scraping all the gunk out on the tarp, you simply pull on the rope, and the tarp forms a "pocket" around the clippings. Just pick it up and tote it to the trailer, or dumping area. Neill

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have also heard of a non-stick spray you can spray a mower deck with that is suppose to prevent build up. I do not know how good it works.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Its called WD-40. Thats what I use anyway. It works just dandy. I use a tarp that I wove a cord around to clean out what does build up under my deck. I just cinch it up, and dump it where I dump things.

4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice MOturkey

5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

I got one even slicker than that
    With all the rain we have had lately
    it's not anything for me to just
    center a water puddle and turn the
    blades on to clean out from under
    my mower deck. Works just fine! :)

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

There are a number of different things you can do.
    1. Use Mow Deck and wash regularly. I hear varied responses on how well this works. You have to keep up on it and i just dont have that luxury so it didnt work so well for me.
    2. build a t-bar out of pvc and drill holes and spray up under your deck while blades are on. SOme like it, i dont. To each thier own.
    3. Scrape while changing blades. You can use a tarp i guess but my ol broom works just fine to get messes out onto the lawn. Then i just mow over it again and it just disappears.
    4. Option 4 is the best. Just dont do anything till you notice it is cutting bad from too much build up. It will take about a month probably before you really see a differance. Then scrape and then avoid again as long as possible.

I have done all 4 and none stick out as the best or worst way at all. JMO though

7. MLL

MLL LawnSite Member
    from Houston

pam cooking spray on a clean deck works great

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep the PAM works good, I couldn't imagine spending @ $7 for mo deck, I wonder if it's just cleverly marketed silicone spray...

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing beats a big puddle at the edge of a property, does it??:D

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are some secrets we don't share. This is one of them.:D