Deck Cleaning / scraping / lubing questions ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

What tool etc., do you typically use to clean (scrap) the deck with and how often do you do it ? Do you use a paint scraper , then again that will actually scrap the paint off the deck wouldnt it ! Whats best ?

Can you spray anything under the deck where the blades are to help prevent build up say WD40 or is that bad for the cut grass that drops onto the yard due to the chemicals being harmful in killing the grass when there dispersed from the deck onto the yard??

Thnx

2. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray Fluid Film under the deck. Just make sure the deck is clean. It will help grass build-up and keep it corrosion free.

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Ever tried pressure washing the deck ?
    Fluid film works fine, but sometimes makes the grass ball up when wet.

4. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

Pressure washing sounds good when time allows any other cleaning methods for scraping it ?

5. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

flip it up and use a putty knife.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

stanley makes a LONG handled scraper, it's about 1' long and the scraping end is about 2" wide, I think it's marketed as a panters scraper, maybe a gaskett scraper, It works well because the end gets rounded off so it's not sharp, "Kind of like our blades do"
    and it has a long reach...

be sure NOT to clean after installing new blades.... there was a guy here that cut a tendend after his scraping tool slipped.

havent never tried fluid film.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, a good old putty knife works the best, about a 2" wide one at the most, and an old one with rounded edges seems to hang up less on things too.

Paint under the deck?? don't fret over that, in about 150 to 200 hours your deck won't have any paint under it anyway, except maybe directly around the spindles.

I don't buy into the spray lubricants to keep the deck "Clean" I've tried several, and fluid film, and the benifits are short lived at best. Consider that the amount of abrasion that the under side of the deck goes through not only removes the paint in short order but also eats through the metal in time, now wonder how long a spray lubricant will last in those conditions...

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple of homemade scrapers I use. Take a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit and flatten out one end with a hammer. Make the flattened end about 2" or a little shorter then bend part of that end to make a mini scraper. The blade -- bent portion on mine is about 3/4" long.

I have one about 18" long and another about 3 feet. When the mower deck is on jack stands I can reach all areas with either of these.

Nosmo

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and most of the problems you"s are posting about will be gone

10. mj'slawncare

mj'slawncare LawnSite Member

spray pam cooking spray on a cleaned out deck and watch how that works.