Deck cleaning

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jceh1, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

I see some consumer machines are coming with wash-out ports for the mower deck (Toro, for instance). How do you go about cleaning the deck on the mini fastrak or fastrak?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to jack the front of the mower, or get it up on a set of ramps, and clean as you would any other deck, scrape and clean from the underside.

Pj

3. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

How often would that need to be done? Seems like wash-out ports would be a good idea for a homeowner machine.

4. Sriggs

Sriggs LawnSite Member

I have the wash out port on my supermini 24/52. I does not get all the grass out and It killed my spindle bearings bacause of the water. The best way is to scrape the deck with the scraper that you would use for the snow/ice on your car and jack the mower up. it is easer to clean up, won't hurt your spindle bearings, and cleans the seck better. I tried the wash out port just because my dealer sold it and It looked good in the pictures. I clean my deck once a week and I do about 15 1/2 acre lawns a week. I hope this helps you.

5. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I cleaned mine for the first time after 5 or 6 weeks. After rinsing down with water I followed it up with wd 40. Is this okay for the spindles, blades, etc?

Also, child question. My son (toddler) gets on the unit and plays bringing the 'arms' in and out to the neutral position. Is this okay? btw, the unit is turned off!

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

WD-40 is ok, I would not go over board on it though.
    The main thing to worry about when washing your mower is not to spray water in areas where it can not "run off".
    Also never use high pressure near the spindles or sealed bearing on your unit, this could possible force water past the seals in these bearings.
    Personally, I would not allow children to play on a mower in any way, it will give them a sense that is ok to play on it anytime, which sometimes may not be safe.
    It will not hurt anything mechanical if your son is moving the levers in and out.

Pj

7. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

You've made me feel guilty now :p , but my 2 year old boy climbs all over mine too. He's like his dad - he likes mechanical things (toys). I think supervision is the key here though. I take him for rides on the tractor and I don't let him play while I'm mowing. He only plays on them in the garage. I'd say just watch him closely.

gps_jetskier