Deck Cleaning

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ctriopelle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ctriopelle

ctriopelle LawnSite Member

Just bought a 44/19 Kawi Phazer a couple of weeks ago (trivantage deck) and love the machine. It was nice to not have to wait until afternoon on Saturday to let the dew burn off so that I could get an acceptable cut. Now the downside. While it cut very nice even with damp grass, it sure caked up the underside of the deck! Add in some mud from the various mole piles I accumulated over the winter and I managed to make a pretty good mess. With my old Murray POS, it was easy enough to pop the deck off, flip it over, and spray/scrape off anything that built up. I don't think I'll be trying that with the new machine. I did jack it up with a 3 foot long 2x4 in the yard and got a bit of access with my hose, but still didn't come clean everywhere. Given that the 2x4 was sturdy, but not climb under the machine and scrape away sturdy, I didn't feel comfortable doing much else. Any of you pros have good advice for keeping the deck clean without too much hassle?

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Mow-Deck. Silicon spray keeps wet grass off.

3. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

or Fluid Film. I have used both and seem to work about the same.

4. ctriopelle

ctriopelle LawnSite Member

Only bad part is that I already have a pretty dirty deck now. Since it's been a few days and I'm sure it's dry now, is my only option to scrape it clean? I used a hose to try to get what I could, but as I mentioned I didn't feel to safe poking around under 600 lbs leaning on a big stick. I can't see jack stands raising it nearly as high as I did, and cleaning access was still pretty limited (especially up front). Would it be foolish to try to pressure wash underneath do a better job? I read that pressure washing should be avoided so as not to get inside the spindle area (which coincidentally has a lot of the buildup).

Just don't want to mess up my new toy before I even get 5 hours on it....

5. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Scrape it clean and start using Mow Deck or Fluid Film and then the next time you have to clean the under side it will not be as hard to scrap off.