Deck Clogging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Mowin4Dollas, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

South East Tennessee has been the Tropical rainforest this summer, and the grass is reflecting it. My mower deck is staying clogged and is affecting my quality of cut. Is there anything that I can spray on the bottom of my deck to at least help reduce this problem. I know it can't eliminate it, but just reduce it. I keep it cleaned out as best as I can with a scraper or I take it to a car wash and pressure wash the bottom of the joker. Thanks guys!

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you get it clean you can keep it that way with a blower if you can get at the underside of the deck. Works best if you wear green pants. I've never had much luck with products like modeck.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

After or during mowing a lawn keep eye out for water holes pull in them and slowly drop deck in and let water clean the deck

4. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, but my mind went to this, [​IMG]

I've never found any spray that helps, Wet grass is just going to stick, that's just a part of grass chopping.

5. Mowin4Dollas

Thanks guys! It's crazy how thick and nasty this grass is staying!

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What mower you running? Blade lift makes a big difference. Speed has a big affect with wet grass. Raise the deck and cut less off. If need be lower deck a 1/2 inch and make a second cut. To me its faster to make two cuts with out clogging the deck than trying to do a full cut on one pass. With some mowers there is no hope, they can't do wet grass.

7. Mowin4Dollas

I run a snapper pro s150xt with Mamba blades. High lift mulchers. It also has an ICD deck,

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Get rid of the mulchers while the grass conditions remain wet. That is a lot of your problem right there. The mulchers beat the grass into smaller pieces and they are wet, so they clump and stick together, and to your deck as well. high lifts with no wavy mulcher edge or fingers like a G6/5 has are best for this type of cutting. They will create higher air movement under the deck which helps dry the side skirts a bit so that grass doesn't stick, and they will create higher discharge velocity and help keep your deck cleaner.

9. JBradshaw00

JBradshaw00 LawnSite Member

My gators clog my icd deck if th grass is just damp! On going back to stockers

10. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

I have often wondered if there was a way to have the bottom of deck teflon coated and how long it would last.