Deck cut out on Super Mini

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, May 12, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I noticed that the discharge opening on my super mini is rectangular where my Super Z has a 45 degree cut out on the tail end of the opening. Did they test the Mini with the 45 degree cut out and not find it suitable? One of my workers thought with the factory blades the clippings were being driven to the back of the cut out and stacking up against the back inside of the deck about where the 45 cut out would be if it were there. It was damp today, and it was clumping badly. Seemed everytime the mower came to the end of a pass to turn it dumped green mashed potatos is large clots. I wondered if testing was done and what reasons were motivation to change the deck from the Super Z style witht he 45 cut out. I feel my Super Z performed better in similar conditions, and has been improved by cutting the opening out to match the 05 deck design. Would their be similar benifits in opening up the hole on the Mini in a similar manner?

Any thoughts and help would be great.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not sure on the testing on the Mini style decks, I know there has not been any changes in that deck design since it was introduced, I also have not heard to many complaints about it either.
    I will check with our guys in engineering and see what is happening there.

Pj

3. Cutter lawns

Cutter lawns LawnSite Member

I don't own the full size super z but also wanted to know if cutting my deck would be beneficial to cutting in wet conditions. I to notice clumping at the discharge chute and would be interested in fixing this small problem

4. Green Mtn. Guy

Green Mtn. Guy LawnSite Member

I'm having the same problem with clumping/clogging when cutting wet grass. The last year here has been very wet with heavy growth. The trim side chamber will pack out and clog. The middle and discharge side chambers are not as bad, but not great. I feel that the opening from the trimside chamber to the middle is too small. I opened up my deck on my 52" super mini z by an 1.5" on a 90 degree angle. I own a Walker Mower as well so no need to ever put a bac pac on this mower. I did this before the change on the full size Z. The results? Well the trim side chamber still packs out and clogs in wet grass, but the other chambers seem too clear better. When I'm cutting normal growth and it's wet I now don't get the clogging and cow pie laying at the discharge side like I used to, but like I said that trim side chamber will still clog and drop a pie if the PTO is shut off. On the good side, when cutting heavy growth and it's dry I notice a big difference and can cut faster with no more grass accumulating on the edge on the rear side of the discharge opening that would cause the mower to clump or clog. For the finish cut in dry conditions, well it's hard too tell if leafs are getting chopped up as much on the discharge side or not, maybe alittle less but cannot tell the difference in grass clipping size. I made it so my Quiwkchute still works just had too redrill and move the chute back some. So I close down the chute on first pass than open the chute for the finish pass when there is debris that needs too be mulched up for the almost bagged look. Sorry no pics of the mod just a pic of one of my bluff lots..... Aloha -Kevin

Green-Mountain-Gardening.jpg

5. Sriggs

Sriggs LawnSite Member

I have allready done the cut out on my supermini z. I really does make a difference in wet mowing conditions. The grass will not clump comeing out of the side discharge. The only downside I saw was it does'nt get the same air flow as the stock set up. It throughs the grass not as far. Im glad I did it. Also Im not waiting intill hustler can tell pj that it ok to do on the mini's when they are allready doing it on the large frame models.

6. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone tried any type of silicon spray to help keep the wet grass from sticking or clogging in the deck? I know you all do commerical accounts and cut all times of the year. I am having the same problems with my 44" Fastrack. I have the new deck cut at 45deg but still see and hear the wet grass in the deck. When I turned off the pto it seemed all of the clippings dropped all over my drive way. Something learned for the next time for sure. I love the mower but was just wondering if anyone tried anything.

Mike

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have tried slip plate and a couple others known to be used in agricultural and industrial applications. I heard all kinds of wonderful stories of these products....A waste of time and money for me.