1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck cutting unevenly "quality" on ferris 1000z 61"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 15, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I posted prior about this issue this season.. I have a 61" deck, its always cut pretty good, discharges to the Right.. the two "left" blades were cutting very poor, missing 80% of the grasses high or low. I was running a mulch kit and had two normal blades on that side, and a gator on the discharge. I switched to all gators again, same problem.

I removed the mulch baffles on the two right blades the other day and cut with it on tuesday... same deal, 3 gators, all sharp, just as it comes from the factory minus the blades and even going half speed, 5mph~, it leaves huge areas of uncut grass on the two left blades, the right discharge blade area is flawless though, any ideas?

The deck is pretty clean underneath, no buildup, at least nothing major since i last cleaned it out a week ago. Im stumped :/ Both my 48" deck with all gators and the new 72" with all gators cut damn near perfect.
  2. mj'slawncare

mj'slawncare LawnSite Member

Bad Spindle If Cutting Low Or High Try Putting A Washer Between Bolt And Blade To Figure Out Wich One Is Bad.
  3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Noticed a simmilar problem with gators my self, but not so severe.

Like he said check the spindles.

The real problem I think comes from the mulch blades. These give less lift and airflow. No lift means grass is'nt streched out when blades pass. Less flow causes Grass to ball up which makes it even worse.

Not sure why this affects the 61" only, must have something to do with deck design. Try different blades with bigger wing surface if you can find any.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, and i swear it was not like this with them when i started, but gators always have an odd affect i guess in some conditions.

I will just bolt the stocker blades back on this week and see how it goes.
  5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had problmes with gators. I have had similar problems on 72 inch decks. You need to park it on concrete and see if for some reason the deck is not sitting level.
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Gator Blades aren't for everyone.