Deck going bad-what to do

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jrblawncare, Mar 10, 2002.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Guys , I have an older JD walkbehind {button style} the inter deck in the front is rotting away.I was thinking of having some metal welded in where the damage is but I'am not sure this can be done because it is all very weak.I was thinking about some sheet metal and some pop rivets as a sort term fix ? Any other thoughts or should I not even worry about it and run it.Thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you are concerned enough about it to ask then it's propbably not safe to run. Take it to a local welder and see what they have to say about repairing it. Usually when major components of the mower start wearing out it's time for a new mower.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Richard, I beleave its safe to run , again it is just the inter skin , outside is still rock hard. It has a 17 hp. kaw on it and has alot of life left in it. It has apx.850 hrs on it,I got it new in '87 or '88

4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending how much the mower is worth to you- spread the word at all the local lawnmower shops that you need a used deck for your model. It may take a few months but I'm certain someone will give you a call once they get a unit that is blown up and worn out and just want to sell it for parts. I did that with my 5 speed Peerless transmission. Got a call about 3 months after putting up my index cards on the cork boards.

5. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

If you are talking about the baffling under the deck, some 3/16" steel plate should be able to be welded in place. Check with the guys over on the welding & fab forum for some good details.

6. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

How heavy is the material the deck is made from, and is it a simple flat sheet that needs replacing or is there a contour formed into it?

Agreed that it's probably feasible to weld a replacement piece in - to do a nice job the best way is to cut the replacement piece first, use it as a guide for cutting the old material out, then weld it in as opposed to just laying a patch over top. Of course, sometimes putting a patch on is the only way to do it.

Depending on the thickness of the material you may need to use a MIG (wire feed) welder for best results.