Deck height on new Stander ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Dec 4, 2003.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

OK so I bring the new 61" home and the bottom edge of the deck sits 3" off of level concrete. Also the bladewas supposed to be set to 2.5" but is right even with the bottom of the deck.......

The deck is set to the middle setting for the leveling. The dealer said this the standard set up........

I think I would want the blade up into the deck more to avoid blowout , etc.........

Any Ideas???

Derek

2. energy

energy LawnSite Member

ive always notice that if you have the blades higher on the deck, the cut is not as clean and even as if it was lower to the deck. How high do you want to cut the grass anyways? If you have the caster spacers all at the highest setting and the blades close to the lowest, the cut will still be very high. I have a 36" stander and set the blade spacers 2 on top and 4 on bottom. The wheel spacers all the way up. This combination is good for clean cuts and avoid crashes into elevated sidewalks or bottoming out on curbs. When you do need it a little lower just go down on the wheel spacers. Good luck with your new mower

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I will have to look but right now I believe all the spacers on the blade spindle are underneath. The caster spacers are 2 on the bottom 1 on the top.

What mount hole are you rear wheel mounts using??..... top, middle or bottom????

Derek

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dmontgomery,

I had my WS set on the lowest settings for the rear wheels- I cut mostly centipede and burmuda. The front spacers give me a variation of 1.34 to 2.5 inches.

By the way, I'll pass on some other info in case you've not thought of it already: get the front wheels fitted with a tube and/or Slime! The rear wheels with Slime as well. The foam filled doesn't last that long.

Have the dealership check the spacing of the hyrdo drive belt- mine was off when I picked it up and I threw 3 belts real quick. Sweet gum balls and pine cones pushed it off real quick. Nothing like pushing a 700 lb broken mower up a ramp three times in a week.

Get a Jungle Jack. Because the deck is fixed getting it unstuck is not nearly as easy as with an adjustable deck mower.

After all was said and done, I'd repurchase my Stander. Love it!

Cordially,
    Sheppard

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Sheppard....when you say unstuck...what do you mean? mud???, ditch????

Thanks for the Slime tip....

Derek

6. sheppard

I guess I mean getting the deck stuck on uneven ground, or on a narrow pathway. or on a sharp rise or hill.

Somethings snag the edge of the deck. Rocking it and shifting the levers works most of the time. The time it was the worst was when I was on a 3 foot wide of grass with a ditch on either side. The rear tires just strattled the width too much. It got good and stuck.

The Jungle Jack has saved my stupid butt so many times. I got it off Ebay.com for about $125.00. Think the normal retail was $175.00

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

So am I right in wanting to set the deck to the lowest setting then move the blades up higher inside.

I think that would help with blowout.

Derek

8. sheppard

Yes. As long as the grass you are cutting thrives at that cut hight.

I'd set the rear tires on their lowest and forget about them. When I have to cut St. Aug. grass (3.5 to 4 inches) I use my Snapper WB set at 4 inches.

Cordially,
    Sheppard