Deck Height

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mowman1998, Oct 13, 2002.

1. mowman1998

mowman1998 LawnSite Member

I have purchased about 8 exmark Lazers in the past 3 years and I was wondering if someone else has had the same problems that we have had on all of our Lazers. The deck height starts out at 4" on the preset lever and by the end of the season they change form 1 to 2 in. lower in height. This has happened on all the Lazers we have. We checked tire air also changed pins ect. would like any input that might help thak you.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mowman1998,

The problem you're seeing is not isolated to your machines. We have seen some of the Lazers loose cutting height with age and wear. Drops of 1-2" in one years time would be extremely unusual.

There are a few things that can cause the deck height to drop. First you've already checked a couple of the basics such as tire height as well as the deck height pin.

You should also check to ensure that the chain mounting hardware has not loosened up and allowed the chains to slip.

After that we would need to know what the serial number of your machine is to determine what areas to look at next. The deck lift arm weldment (hidden lift arm that the deck lift handle is bolted to) was an issue on some of there older Lazers but not for the past couple of years. We've also seen some wear in the lift plates and clevis pins that attach to the lift arm weldment.

Begin with the basics again and re-level the deck. If it can be re-leveled the problem is resolved and it's probably just a case of normal adjustments that are required annually. If you find that you can not adjust the decks up high enough you'll probably need to replace at least the clevis pins p/n 1-808284, and lift plates p/n 1-633068. You can find both of these listed in the front frame diagram of your parts manual.

These components were changed on the 2002 models to help improve the wear rate under normal conditions. We have also found that in many cases the wear is caused during trailering. Simply removing the deck height adjustment pin and letting the deck set as low as possible on the trailer can dramatically reduce the amount of wear to these components. If youÂ’re seeing 1-2" I would have your dealer look at your machine. Generally we would consider 1/2" of drop in one years time very excessive but something we've seen.

Chances are you've got more than one issue that needs to be addressed or something has been bent or broken. In my opinion inspection from your dealer may be necessary to find all of the issues.

Thanks

Terry

3. Troy Landry

Troy Landry LawnSite Member

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ALL MY LAZER Z'S ALSO,WHAT I DID WAS REPLACE THE 4 CHAINS THE DECK HANGS FROM WITH THE SAME SIZE CHAIN BUT TOOK A LINK OUT,THIS SEEMS TO WORK GREAT.

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Ive lost 3/4" so far this season. I"m going back to the Basic and reset the deck. Lost the Z's use for a day. Really Bites.

So I should drop the deck as low as it will go for trailering. I have heard this before but my dealer said no way set it up on the 5" mark.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grasshog,

Dropping the deck in the lowest position, dropping it onto a block of wood, and when strapping them to the trailer don't strap across the mower deck. All of these things will help.

If your loosing more than a 1/2" in a years time then I would recommend that you check the mounting hardware for the chains every now and then. Even 3/4" is on the high side from what we've seen on test units both in our in house testing program and field test units. In 2002 we changed several things in the deck lift mechanism on all of the full size Z's that should have all but eliminated anything other than chain slippage. Even on the earliest designs we could not find significant wear until 1200 hours and that too was easily corrected.

Tires, chains, consistent measuring practices. These 3 things should be looked at first. I think you'll find at least one of these and maybe more are the culprit in this case.

Thanks

Terry