1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck hitting top of gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plantzpropertymanagement, May 16, 2007.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Does anybody no what I can do to stop my mower deck from hitting the top of my trailer gate? What it is doing is hitting the deck spindles.
  2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

put some type of blocks under the gate when setting it on the ground..... this decreases the incline. a couple of regular clay bricks should work or something equivalent. i'd go with something stronger than that though. they'll break eventually.
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Which mower is hitting when loading? Z turn or WB. If the Z make sure your deck is all the way up. If the WB then push down on the handles as you start up the gate, that will raise your deck up. Hope that helps.

4. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

survey says chang the height on your hitch, less drop flat ect till your trailer leans back a little more decreases the angle.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Correct answer....
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot I didn't think of the hitch. I had to do that to mine a few years back. Good call.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't change the height of your hitch if your trailer is already riding nice and level. There is a much more simple remedy to this, and no, it doesn't involve extending the gate.
    Here is what I did. As you drive up the gate, or more so, down the gate, watch and mark right where the front wheels are. Two hunks of 2x something will do wonders for you here. Either a couple of pieces of 2x8 about 2 ft. long running lengthwise, or a few pieces of 2x4 laid crosswise next to each other. This will give you your clearance. Drive in with a few healthy size deck screws and you're good to go. Now, just for explanation, when I stated earlier more so when you are backing down, the reason this is, is because when the mower is backing down, it has a longer wheelbase and the deck rides lower over the crest.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

O4 put a block of wood under your trailer jack and raise it up a bit ...keeping it hooked to truck. Or put a 2x8 under your trailer gate....
  9. umbach

umbach LawnSite Member

have to agree with keeping the trailer level. I found that a level trailer means less equipment skipping back and forth...less tie downs,etc...
  10. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

dont be a hillbilly blocking and jacking up the ramp just addto the ramp and make sure you do a nice job with it. i think you should have to take a test to buy a welder. i have seen some gobbers that i would like to beat the guy that did it.