deck issue!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2mow, Sep 4, 2006.

1. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

i have a new dixie chopper. 12.5 hours. in that amount of time it has broken the belt(idler) tension spring three times. have had blades replaced but it has done it again. need some non-biased(non-dealer) input. thanks!!!

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Is the spring breaking at the end where it holds the pulley tensioner or anchored to the frame, or is it braking in the middle of the spring coils?

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out l-a-w-n-f-o-r-u-m-s-.com (without the " - " ) there the Dixie Chopper guru's

4. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

its breaking where it is attached to the frame. between the two washers.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was trying to tell you....

They even have a forum there called Dixie Chopper service.

Anyways, the first thing that comes to my mind is... does the series of mower you have accept several different deck sizes?

What about that particular belt?... Have they replaced IT?

6. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

original belt. yes it does accept several deck sizes. 36,44,50 @ 60 inch.

7. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

thanks envy! i have been on ********** alot. DC service rep asked for my model and serial number and is going to contact service rep to try and resove the issue. but. i am going to the dealer first thing in morning and would like some professional imput to provide instead of getting a blank stare when i tell them about this again. thanks.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK... I see you over there now... but I'm not finding a thread addressing this directly... I'm guessing you are discussing it privately?

Anyways, I'm thinking you have the DC model I liked the most when I looked at them.

With that said, obviously something is putting too much pressure on that spring. So if the spring has been replaced, it's not too likely that they keep slapping the wrong one on there.

However, it is possible your machine might have been fitted with the wrong length belt for your deck size... or if the idler has several different pulley mount slots on it, the pulley could be bolted down in the wrong place on the arm.... like it might be a common part with 5 different bolt holes to mount into for the 5 different decks.

At this point I'm sure wishing I was a lot more familiar with the Dixies than I am.
    Any way you could post some pictures of the affected area?