deck leveling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nova385, Apr 3, 2003.

1. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

I just got a 61" turf tiger- (used). I was checking the deck to se if it was level and it is 1" off from right to left.

The owners manual states to adjust the chains on the left side of the deck- but there is no more adjustment left-

The deck pitch is adjusted with the rods on the RH & LH side.

Is there another way to lower one side of the deck sort of removing the links in the chains?

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Their should be a bolt you can losen on the left side of the deck if you are sitting on the machine, its on the nonshoot side. Its the front bolt that holds the chain or connects it to the deck. You can slide the bolt up or down in the groove they've given you. I think this will help in leveling the deck, as far as turning those control rods, they will help some, you just can't turn the heck out of it cause then one chain won't have tension on it. Just make sure all four chains have tension on them. I think this may help.
    Matt

3. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

The chain adjustment is let all the way down -

I need is to go down about 1" more-

The manual tells you to measure form the bottom of the deck on both sides-
    But my floor is not level- so I put a 4' level across the deck, and can not get it to level out.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats gonna screw you up even more! How can you level a deck on an unlevel surface!? :rolleyes:

Find a level OR flat area thats approx 6' x 6'.

Park Mower.

Lower deck to lets say 4" for easy hand movement under deck if necessary.

Either adjust up or down to level. Measure from floor to bottom of blade tip with a deck height tool.

You want front tip of blades to measure 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the rear tips when blades are like this | | |

You want trim side blade tip edge height to equal (or pretty darn close) the discharge blade height when blades are like this -- -- --

Then you can adjust cutting height to whatever you prefer.

You guys don't know how easy you have it with 4 point adjustable decks! Compared to my old DC with its bad excuse for an equal lift mechanism! Or my old JD Front runners with their C spacers and pinned holes.

Hope this helps.

Ditch that Carpenters level real quick!

5. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

thanks for the tip -
    Why ditch the level - the deck is hanging by the chains (in the air)not on the unlevel floor-
    Level is level

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

nova385,

Now step back and think about what you just said :rolleyes:

Say you park your mower on a driveway that is 3" out of level in 6' (not very level)

Now you put a carpenters level across the deck and level it perfectly.

You will now have a mower with a deck that cuts 3" lower on one side!

Now if your floor is TOTALLY level. Then go ahead and use the level, but its still not going to be as accurate as a deck leveling tool.

Also make sure your tires are properly inflated equally (most likely 13-15 psi for all 4).

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

OK well lets think about this.

If you are mowing a hill side (side to side) do you want the mower to cut at absolute level or at the same angle as the hill. IF you cut it at level then there would be a bunch of steps across the hill, where as if you cut at the same angle as the hill side then the lawn would be perfectly smooth. (the look i think you would prefer)

therefore it does not matter the angle of the surface your mower is parked on when you "level" the deck, as long as the surface is consistent or smooth such as a garage floor (not the water channel in the front yard).

You want to make sure that the blades are "level" in respect to the surface the wheels are sitting on. Therefore measuring from the ground to the blade tips as TLS said.

If you deck is still not "level" and your chains are all the way down then simply raise the chains on the lower said.

8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

this thread is too funny!

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If anything its sad :(

You should "invest" in one of these....

Under $10 at your dealer.

blade height tool.jpg

10. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

Well I do not think this post is sad or funny-

I just got the mower, have never have a floating deck and the book scag gives you sucks D$$k.

It turns out on one of the rear tires is bigger than the other one throwing another wrench into the problem.

I'm sorry you where saddened and to take up your time ( you must be very busy surfing the net) asking questions about a MOWER on LAWNSITE.

Damn-