1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deck levelling question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Sep 14, 2004.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Got what sounds like a trivial issue, but one that has me stumped. The info I'm seeking should apply, in general, to many mower decks.

The issue is levelling. I'm not talking here about the mechanics of adjusting the deck for level. What's got me hung up is how to do it. Let me explain by setting out the normal preparatory steps:

a. Find a good, flat, level spot (should be on concrete or smooth asphalt), and spot the tractor/mower on it.

b. Set the deck to the normal cutting height.

C. Level it side-to-side, and front-to back.

d. To do this turn the blade crosswise, and then lengthwise. Measure from each tip to ground, and get the clearances all equal.

The problem I'm running into on several of my mowers is how to get my mitt under the deck to make the measurement, on the front, back, and one side. The discharge side takes care of the situation naturally, with good access there.

Sure, I can and do eyeball them, and that works out pretty good. But, it would be nice to be able to "gauge" the drop distances. I simply can't get a hand under them to do that. On some of the decks, I still can't get my hand under there, even with the deck raised to highest setting.

How do you guys do this?
  2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Jack your mower up and measure with a straight edge now far the blade is from the bottom edge of the deck and them just use the bottom edge of the deck to level with. Also a block can be used to guage the deck by between the ground and the bottom edge of the deck. Also there is a guage that reaches under the deck that measures the height of the blade.
  3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Put 2x6s under the wheels.
  4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

With the deck up take measurements from the blade tip to bottom of deck. Lower deck and re-measure from ground to bottom of deck and add the two together.

Also most decks should be slightly higher in the rear. Most of our deck manufactures call for the pitch of the deck to be 1/2" higher in the rear. This also varies with deck size. All of our decks are 72" or larger.
  5. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

}}} Put 2x6s under the wheels. {{{

There it is! Thanks. I was having a mental block (more kindly called a senior moment), and couldn't see the obvious.

Using the deck as to set "level" won't work sometimes. Every once in awhile I run across decks that have been sprung or distorted by a hard hit, primarily on the thin deck shell cheaper/smaller riders. Levelling by the blade plane gives you a fail safe method.

The guy who mentioned that some of the mowers say to pitch the blade plane so the rear is higher is right. I've never known why this is, but I've seen it in a number of the manuals.
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere sells a slick lil tool for measuring blade height. Costs about 7 bucks.
  7. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Yeah! That's the neatest thing.
  8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to help.
  9. they sure do and its ha ndy little devil to.