Deck lighting question

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by theother, Mar 11, 2008.

1. theother

theother LawnSite Member

I am doing a bid on a deck and they mentioned they wanted me to put lights into the deck, like we do with pavers. Any body know any good lights that i could inlay into the deck. Thanks.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

why not use decklights on the railings ? Evening star has a inlay lighting system for decks. I just dont care for how it looks. We use the cast deck lights when we can. Real nice looking light. We mount them at or just below shoulder level when seated or just below the top edge of the rail

3. theother

theother LawnSite Member

There is no railing deck is only like a foot off the ground she wanted to do a paver pation but it isnt possible.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I think this is where Solecki comes in and tells you about his deck light!!

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The Nightscaping INTEGRAliter is both a dock and deck light, flush mounted and dark sky friendly. check it out here: http://www.nightscaping.com/integralite.htm#

This will not shine light up into your eyes... it is intended to subtly act as a spread light across the surface of the deck or dock.

I recommend it in raw brass GD-0402-BR

Regards

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Joey, c'mon man...did you expect anything less? :) You did, after all, invite me.....

Have a great day.

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The Integraliter is a surface mount, not a flush mount though. Not that I don't like them because I have used them but I would hate for someone to stub their toes on those things.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Paul... You mount them at the very outer edge of a deck or dock. In a dock application they are no more of an obstacle then a dock cleat. When presented with the 'trip hazard' question I always put it in the same terms.... If you are walking that close to the edge of a deck or dock, with enough momentum to cause you to trip over the fixture, then you were already going to fall off the structure in any case.

In over 4 years of installing these I have never had a client report one incident. They simply are located too close to the edge of the dock or deck to cause an incident. I only hear rave reviews.... and others seem to like them too, cause they sure sell well.

Bill's Party 20060038.jpg

10. theother

theother LawnSite Member

that might work how high are they, it only looks like a couple inches also how much light do they push. The deck is relatively small only like 16 ft wide and maybe 16 feet deep and its going to be like half a stop sign shape so i quess one on each corner would probably do, right?